About This Chapter
Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health - Chapter Summary
While alcohol and tobacco are legal to use for adults throughout the United States, these substances have been proven to have negative effects on our health. Within these lessons, you will go over what type of impact these substances have on us, including issues of addiction and treatment options.
No matter how much time you have available to study, our materials can accommodate your schedule. First of all, everything we offer is online and viewable around the clock, and our mobile-friendly access lets you take our materials everywhere you go. Next, instead of giving you big, seemingly endless chapters, we split our chapters into short lessons. Each lesson can be completed in around 8 minutes. Shorter lessons give you the option to study during all the breaks during your day. Upon going through all the lessons in this chapter, you will have learned how to do the following:
- Check out U.S. consumption trends of alcohol
- Define alcohol's long-term, behavioral, and physiological effects
- Examine treatments, symptoms, and causes of alcoholism
- Explain U.S. tobacco use trends
- Point out the political and social issues around tobacco use
- Offer examples of the short-term effects of tobacco use and addiction
- Review smoking consequences for long-term use
- Show the impact of smoking on the environment and other people
1. Alcohol Use in the United States: Trends in Consumption
You more than likely have had alcohol once in your life. At least that's what statistics point to. In fact, this lesson will be chock full of statistics about alcohol use and abuse in the United States.
2. The Effects of Alcohol: Physiological, Behavioral & Long-Term
If you've ever wondered why men seem to tolerate alcohol better than women or what alcohol does to the body and mind, then tune into this lesson for more information.
3. Alcoholism: Causes, Symptoms, Effects & Treatment
Alcohol can be a really terrible thing when it is abused. The problems it causes do not just damage the user but their friends, family, and society as a whole. You'll learn about why alcoholism occurs and how it can be addressed.
4. Tobacco Use in the United States: Trends in Consumption
This lesson will discuss important statistics related to smoking, including how age, ethnicity, education, and geographic location influence tobacco use, as well as the financial and health-related implications of smoking.
5. The Social and Political Issues of Tobacco Use
We often think about the fact that smoking is something we should worry about with respect to cancer, but political, social, and religious concerns are just as important when it comes to this deadly habit. Learn about how these concerns are related to smoking in this lesson.
6. Tobacco Use: Addiction and Short-Term Effects
In this lesson, you will learn about why it is that smoking is so addictive and what the short-term consequences of tobacco use will result in. You will also find out how nicotine plays an important role in all of this.
7. Smoking: Long-Term Consequences
In this lesson, we will look at why smoking is so harmful to your health from a chemical perspective. After that, we will discuss exactly what smoking causes in the long run. You'll be surprised to learn that lung cancer is the least of your concerns.
8. Smoking: Effects on Others & the Environment
This lesson will hopefully dispel some myths surrounding secondhand smoke and how it affects people who do not smoke. You'll even learn about the fact that there are two different kinds of secondhand smoke.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101