About This Chapter
Impact of Digital Communication - Chapter Summary
Study the impact of digital communication by working through the short lessons you'll find in this engaging chapter. Topics presented include business and consumer communication in the digital age, the cultural and political impact of digital communication and the Internet's impact on business operations and interactions. Gauge your understanding of these concepts with the lesson quizzes and more comprehensive test at the end of the chapter. These materials are conveniently available to you on any laptop, smartphone, tablet or computer 24/7. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline consumer and business communication in the digital age
- Discuss the impact of the Internet on business interactions and operations
- Identify the economic impact of digital communication
- Explain the political and cultural impact of digital communication
- Describe the ways technology impacts culture in the global age
- Define information overload and provide examples
- Detail the importance of using communication technology wisely
1. Business & Consumer Communication in the Digital Age
Today, social media has made it easy to comment about a product or a brand using digital channels. In this lesson, we'll learn the importance of business and consumer communication in the digital age.
2. The Internet's Impact on Business Operations & Interactions
In this lesson, you will learn how the Internet and other technological innovations have changed the way organizations operate and interact with their stakeholders.
3. The Economic Impact of Digital Communication
This lesson goes over the many ways by which digital communication technologies have and can impact the economy or even personal finances. It will also point out how not everything is as rosy as it seems.
4. How Technology Impacts Culture in the Global Age
In this lesson, you will explore the impacts of modern technology on the development of global culture and discover what this may mean for us. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Information Overload: Definition & Example
Email, social media and the internet - oh my! The digital age, combined with older forms of communication, is adding up to more information overload. In this lesson, learn more about what that is and how to cope.
6. The Importance of Using Communication Technology Wisely
It is very important for businesses to use communication technology wisely. This lesson explores why companies need guidelines or a code of conduct for employees to understand the limits of cell phones, emails, texting, and social media.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 106: Communication in the Digital Age course