About This Chapter
Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find a collection of lessons on the impact of nutrition on personal wellness. You'll review topics that include children's, teens' and adults' nutritional needs and making healthy choices. Once this chapter is complete, you should be able to:
- Give the definition and examples of nutritional deficiencies
- Identify the guidelines for healthy diet planning
- Explain how to prepare foods from different food groups
- Discuss the ways inactivity affects human body systems
- Detail factors in fitness and weight management
- Provide vocabulary terms used for eating disorders and nutritional problems
If you have any questions along the way, our experts are happy to help. Each short lesson is accompanied by a multiple-choice quiz you can use to assess your knowledge before exam day. You can study this nutrition chapter at your convenience, 24 hours a day.
1. Children's Nutritional Needs
In this lesson, you will learn about the nutritional needs for preschoolers and school age children. You will gain an understanding of recommended caloric requirements and food choices.
2. Nutrition During Adolescence
In this lesson, you will learn about nutritional needs during adolescence and how they differ from younger children's needs. You will also gain an understanding of nutrition-related concerns for adolescents, as well as specific dietary recommendations.
3. Nutrition Needs During Adulthood
In this lesson, you will learn about nutritional requirements during adulthood. You will also gain an understanding of nutrition-related concerns facing grown-ups, as well as daily dietary recommendations for adults.
4. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
5. Nutrient Deficiencies: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will explain what nutrient deficiencies are, and how deficiencies of certain vitamins and minerals occur. Next, we will review what problems are associated with these deficiencies.
6. Healthy Diet Planning Guidelines: Nutrients & Food Groups
The USDA and Health and Human Services developed dietary guidelines for Americans that outline diet and lifestyle recommendations. Learn how these guidelines, along with the USDA food guides, can be used to help you develop a healthy eating plan in this video lesson.
7. How Inactivity Affects Human Body Systems
Physical inactivity affects you inside and out from head to toe. This lesson discusses how a lack of exercise can lead to a variety of physical disorders in many of your body systems.
8. Factors to Consider in Fitness & Weight Management
In this lesson, we examine several factors to consider in fitness and weight management. We cover the cost, accessibility, time necessary, and resources needed to reach these goals. We also cover the effect genetics has on these issues.
9. Vocabulary for Eating Disorders & Nutritional Problems
Lots of eating disorders and nutritional problems go hand-in-hand, but this lesson will define different kinds separately from one another. These include anorexia, cachexia, bulimia, obesity, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Principles of Nutrition
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards