About This Chapter
Impact of Politics on Geography - Chapter Summary
This chapter explores widely spanning historical events that illustrate the effect of politics on geography. Lessons will include events relating to the creation of the United Kingdom, the colonization of Africa, and the Ottoman empire. The following will also be included in the chapter:
- The unification of Germany, Italy and Austria
- Territorial developments in France and Russia
- Imperialism and colonialism within the international system
- American and European imperialism
- The Berlin conference
- Dutch, British, and Russian colonies in Asia
You'll be able to choose between a video and transcript of every lesson, both including features designed to make navigation simple. Those that opt for the videos will be able to jump around main points of the lesson using the timeline, while readers of the transcripts will be able to spot key terms highlighted in bold. Each option comes paired with a lesson quiz designed for self-assessment.
1. The Creation of the United Kingdom and the Incorporation of Ireland
In this lesson, we examine the piecemeal creation of the United Kingdom throughout the late Medieval and Early Modern periods as well as the tumultuous history of English control and partitioning of Ireland.
2. The Unification of Italy: Summary, Timeline & Leaders
In this lesson, we explore the piecemeal unification of Italy which took place in the 19th century. Created in part by the brilliant statesmen Camillo Benso di Cavour, Italy as we know it did not fully take shape until 1870.
3. The Unification of Germany: Summary, Timeline & Events
In this lesson, we explore the unification of Germany in the 1860s and 1870s, largely accomplished through the statecraft of the Chancellor of Prussia and later Germany, Otto von Bismarck.
4. The Unification of Austria: German Exclusion & Creation of Austria-Hungary
In this lesson, we explore how Austria was excluded by Prussia and the other German states from the new German Confederation, as well as the steps it took to maintain its international influence, including the eventual creation of Austria-Hungary.
5. Territorial Developments in France: Losses & Acquisitions
In this lesson, we explore the wild fluctuations the borders of France experienced during the 19th century, from its European domination during the Napoleonic wars to its losses under the new German Empire.
6. Territorial Developments in Russia: Losses & Acquisitions
In this lesson, we explore the territorial acquisitions and losses of 19th-century Russia, from the Napoleonic Wars and its gains via the Congress of Vienna to the Crimean War.
7. Imperialism & Colonialism in the International System
Throughout history, major political powers in the international system turned to imperialism and colonialism to increase their wealth and power. In this lesson, you'll learn more about imperialism and colonialism and the impact it has on political communities.
8. American Imperialism Around the Globe
In this lesson, you'll explore the history of American imperialism and discover how imperialism can appear in many different ways. Afterwards, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
9. European Imperialism: Characteristics, Motives & Effects
This lesson will explore European imperialism in the 19th and 20th centuries. In doing this it will define New Imperialism and explain how economic growth, national rivalries, and moral superiority motivated it.
10. The Colonization of Africa & the Berlin Conference: Definition & Purpose
This lesson will explore the 19th and 20th century colonization of Africa, which forever changed the political landscape of the continent. In doing so, it will highlight the Berlin Conference and the Principle of Effectivity.
11. Dutch, British and Russian Colonies in Asia: European Imperialism and Its Consequences
This lesson will explore Europe's New Imperialism, which swept across Asia in the 19th and 20th centuries. It will highlight the Dutch East India Company, the Great Game, the Russo-Japanese War, and the Opium Wars.
12. Trouble in the Ottoman Empire: The Russo-Turkish War
This lesson explains the importance of the Russo-Turkish War of the late 19th century. In doing so, it highlights some of the conflict in the Balkans, as well as the treaties of San Stefano and Berlin.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Social Studies (Elementary) (105): Practice & Study Guide course
- Social Science Basics
- Social Science Inquiry & Research
- Historical Text & Information Analysis
- Early Civilizations & Cultures
- Contributions & History of Ancient Greece
- Rise of the Roman Republic
- Development of Religions
- Islamic Culture
- Fall of the Roman Empire
- Ancient China
- Early Civilizations in the Americas
- Feudalism in Europe & the Early Middle Ages
- Renaissance & Reformation
- European Expansion (1450-1750)
- Scientific & Political Revolutions Since 1700
- European Imperialism
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- Early Evolution of American Government
- 19th Century American Expansion & Reform
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- American Industrialization of the Late 19th Century
- American Imperialism
- A World at War - WWI
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- Significant Events of World War II
- Post-WWII World Cultures & Politics (1946-1959)
- Developments & Movements Since 1945
- Events & Presidents During the Cold War (1950-1973)
- Michigan History
- Basic Geography Concepts
- Effects of Humans on the Environment
- Human Systems & Culture
- Geography of the Eastern Hemisphere
- Geography of the Western Hemisphere
- Inter-Continental Organizations
- International Treaties, Agreements & Organizations
- Government & Political Systems
- Important Speeches & Documents in US History
- US Government, Political Process & Citizenship
- History of Political Parties in the U.S.
- US Policy Making
- US Legal System & Landmark Supreme Court Cases
- Business and the Economy
- Basics of International Economics
- Analyzing Democratic Values
- MTTC Social Studies (Elementary) Flashcards