About This Chapter
Impact of Society on Human Behavior - Chapter Summary
Whether you need to review different types of social environments or would like to take another look at the social exchange theory, this chapter is for you. Our short videos can help you re-examine the factors influencing our interpersonal relationships through lessons on such topics as:
- Interpersonal relationships
- Social exchange theory
- Group norms and behaviors
- Behavior genetics
To help you wade through the various social influences on behavior, we've broken up instruction into short videos lasting around five minutes apiece. Watch them as many times as you'd like and scan the transcripts to quickly identify key terms. When you're ready to see how much you've learned, take the multiple-choice lesson and chapter quizzes.
1. Social & Cognitive Development: Impact on Interpersonal Relationships
How does association with a group of people impact behavior and learning? Are friendships relevant to understanding the behavior of students in a classroom? This lesson discusses social development by exploring interpersonal relationship functions and types.
2. Group Behavior in Social Psychology: Definition & Influences
Do individuals behave differently in groups than they would on their own? How do group dynamics affect our decision-making skills? You'll learn about the benefits and potential pitfalls than can come from belonging to a group.
3. How Types of Group Norms Influence Individual Behavior
Groups, though made up of individuals, have their own sets of norms. These sets develop as the group grows and interacts and can change a person's behavior that might be new to the group. Here we review types of norms present in groups and their potential impact on an individual's behavior.
4. Types of Studies in Behavioral Genetics: Twin, Family & Adoption
Are you destined to inherit your mother's penchant for collecting old postcards or your father's constant worry that something bad is about to happen? Find out with this lesson, which delves into the world of genetic and environmental behaviors and personality traits.
5. Social Exchange Theory in Relationships: Definition, Examples & Predictions
In this lesson, we define and discuss social exchange theory and what it predicts about romantic relationships. We also define and discuss the theory's three components: cost-benefit analysis, comparison level, and comparison level of alternatives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Social Science - Sociology and Anthropology (249): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Research Sources, Methods & Technologies
- Analyzing & Interpreting Social Science Inquiry
- U.S. Government and Political Systems
- U.S. and World Economies
- Human Behavior & Development
- Development & Fall of World Civilizations
- Development & Fall of European Civilizations
- Events & People in World History
- 19th Century Revolutions, Politics & Legacies
- 20th Century Wars, Cultures & Legacies
- U.S. History to 1800
- U.S. History (1801-1865)
- U.S. History (1866-1969)
- U.S. History (1970-2008)
- Introduction to Sociology
- Influential Sociological Theorists
- Sociological Research Methods
- Culture, Socialization & Social Interaction
- Human Development Theories in Sociology
- Social Groups & Interactions
- Understanding Diversity through Sociology
- Sex and Gender Roles
- Race & Ethnicity in Society
- Understanding Aging through Sociology
- Studying Social Institutions
- Social Changes & Behaviors
- Political & Economic Systems
- ILTS Social Science - Sociology and Anthropology Flashcards