About This Chapter
1. Japanese Imperialism: Territorial Acquisitions & Wars
In this lesson, we will learn about Japanese imperialism. We will highlight the major territorial acquisitions and the wars that expanded the Japanese Empire.
2. The Fall of China's Qing Dynasty
In this lesson, we will learn about the fall of the Qing dynasty. We will explore the factors that led to its collapse, and highlight key events and developments.
3. European Imperialism: Characteristics, Motives & Effects
This lesson will explore European imperialism in the 19th and 20th centuries. In doing this it will define New Imperialism and explain how economic growth, national rivalries, and moral superiority motivated it.
4. European Imperialism in India & the British East India Company
In this lesson, we will learn about European imperialism in India. We will explore the relationship between European powers and India and examine the role of the British East India Company.
5. India's Independence & Division into Two States
In this lesson, we will learn how British India was divided into two states: India and Pakistan. We will examine the factors leading to this development, particularly the role of the Hindu and Muslim religions. We will also quickly explore geopolitics in postwar Southeast Asia.
6. US Imperialism in the Americas: Causes, Timeline & Examples
This lesson will explore United States imperialism in the Americas. In doing so, it will highlight the presidencies of Roosevelt and Taft, focusing on Yankee Imperialism, the Roosevelt Corollary, and Dollar Diplomacy.
7. Trouble in the Ottoman Empire: The Russo-Turkish War
This lesson explains the importance of the Russo-Turkish War of the late 19th century. In doing so, it highlights some of the conflict in the Balkans, as well as the treaties of San Stefano and Berlin.
8. The Colonization of Africa & the Berlin Conference: Definition & Purpose
This lesson will explore the 19th and 20th century colonization of Africa, which forever changed the political landscape of the continent. In doing so, it will highlight the Berlin Conference and the Principle of Effectivity.
9. South Africa in the Apartheid Era
Alongside the American period of segregation and Jim Crow, South Africa remains one of only a handful of countries to legalize and institutionalize racial discrimination. This lesson explains that practice, as well as how it was dismantled.
10. Dutch, British and Russian Colonies in Asia: European Imperialism and Its Consequences
This lesson will explore Europe's New Imperialism, which swept across Asia in the 19th and 20th centuries. It will highlight the Dutch East India Company, the Great Game, the Russo-Japanese War, and the Opium Wars.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES History 7-12 (233): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES History 7-12 Exam
- Foundations of Historical Inquiry
- Interpreting & Communicating Historical Information
- Teaching & Instruction Strategies for the History Classroom
- TEKS & the History Classroom
- Developments in World History
- Ancient Civilizations in Asia & Africa
- Classical Empires, Dynasties & Civilizations
- The Fall of Rome & Rise of Western Religions
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- The Middle Ages in Africa & Asia
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- Early American Civilizations
- The Reformation Across Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- World Empires & Dynasties
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- The Age of Enlightenment
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Bonaparte & the French Revolution
- Economic & Scientific Advancements of the Industrial Revolution
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- Overview of World War I
- History Between World Wars
- Overview of World War II
- Western Civilization Post-1945
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The US Constitution & The First Presidents
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- American Imperialism & World War I
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- The United States in the Cold War
- Mid-20th Century Civil Rights & Protests in the U.S.
- America in the 1970s
- Post-1980 America
- Native American Tribes in Texas
- Spanish Colonial & Mexican National Era
- Texas Revolution, Expansion & the Civil War
- Major Events & Trends in Texas History
- TExES History 7-12 Flashcards