About This Chapter
Implications of Information Technology: Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Information technology is changing the way companies do business in terms of how they compete with one another and what types of jobs they create. In order to run a successful business in today's increasingly information-based marketplace, an organization must take advantage of information technology, as well as understand how that technology impacts the economy as a whole and their business in particular.
In this chapter, our instructors describe information technology in terms of the benefits and consequences of technology such as building success and the ethical issues that arise. Once the chapter has been completed, you should be prepared to:
- Define and describe information technology and explain its pros and cons
- Analyze how using technology can help a business succeed
- Identify the various ethical issues that can arise when using technology
|Information Technology in Business: Benefits & Limitations||Recall the advantages information technology brings to day-to-day business operations.|
|How Technology Helps Achieve Business Success||Identify the ways technology can increase profits for a business.|
|E-Business Enhanced and E-Business Enabled Organizations||Recognize the components of e-business organizations.|
|Ethical Issues in Managing Technology in Business||Describe the ethical issues, including security and privacy, that arise when using technology with a business.|
1. Information Technology in Business: Benefits & Limitations
As technology continues to develop, the uses of information technology in business increase. IT has made it possible for many businesses worldwide to run successfully. Today, we'll discuss its benefits and its potential limitations.
2. How Technology Helps Achieve Business Success
Technology can help aid in the success of a business and has a winner-take-most-market reality for those with the best and most efficient technologies. In this lesson, you will learn the key ways technology helps businesses become leaders in their market.
3. E-Business Enhanced and E-Business Enabled Organizations
Businesses use the Internet in different ways. Some use it as a part of their business, while some use it to run the entire business. In this lesson, we will discuss the differences between e-business enhanced and e-business enabled businesses.
4. Ethical Issues in Managing Technology in Business
It is a challenge for companies to balance the need for technology with the elements of privacy and security. Let's analyze some ethical issues, such as information security, balancing the privacy of employees with the need for monitoring employees, file sharing, and copyright infringement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 100: Intro to Business course
- The Dynamic Business Environment
- Practicing Social Responsibility and Ethical Behavior in Business
- Economics and Business
- Business in Global Markets
- Forms of Business Ownership
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business
- Managing and Leading in Business
- Leadership Styles in Business
- Organizational Management
- Business Production and Operations
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation
- Basics of Human Resources
- Managing the Employer-Worker Relationship
- Business Marketing Basics
- Product Development and Retailing
- Product Distribution & Supply Chain Management
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing
- Product Promotion in Business
- MIS Basics in Business
- Risk Management in Business
- Accounting Basics
- Financial Management in Business
- Securities Markets and Business
- Money and Financial Institutions
- Studying for Business 100