About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering information about important computer scientists in history will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the most historically significant computer scientists. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing information about important computer scientists
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Important Computer Scientists in History chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Important Computer Scientists in History chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any science question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about important computer scientists for a standard science course. Topics covered include:
- Alan Turing's life, accomplishments and inventions
- The contributions of Grace Murray Hopper
- Books by Randy Pausch
1. Alan Turing: Biography, Facts & Quotes
You may know Alan Turing as a codebreaker, but in reality, he was so much more. In this lesson, we'll examine the personal, and tragic, life of the man whose genius helped defeat the Nazis in World War II.
2. Alan Turing: Accomplishments & Inventions
In this lesson we will look briefly at the life of Alan Turing, a world renowned scientist. His numerous accomplishments, inventions, and work which has a huge impact on modern computer science and artificial intelligence as we see it today.
3. Grace Murray Hopper: Biography, Inventions & Contributions
Grace Murray Hopper had an impact on the computer you're using right now, but how? In this lesson, we'll explore the life, inventions and contributions of a pioneering computer scientist and mathematician.
4. Randy Pausch: Biography, Books & Quotes
A career that started in computer science ended as a motivational speaker, reaching millions. In this lesson, we'll examine the life of Dr. Randy Pausch and his bestseller 'The Last Lecture.'
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Significant Scientists Study Guide course
- Important Geologists in History
- Imporant Geneticists in History
- Important Astronomers in History
- Important Biochemists in History
- Important Biologists in History
- Important Botanists in History
- Important Environmentalists in History
- Important Naturalists in History
- Important Neurologists in History
- Important Paleontologists in History
- Important Physicians in History
- Important Physiologists in History
- Important Zoologists in History