About This Chapter
Important Customer Service Skills - Chapter Summary
These helpful lessons cover the skills needed to work effectively in customer service. Each easy-to-understand lesson is followed by a multiple-choice quiz you can use to test your understanding. With our mobile-friendly, 24/7 learning tools, you're welcome to study at whatever time is most convenient for you. If you have questions as you work through the chapter, please contact one of our professional instructors for assistance. After you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain how soft skills are used in customer service
- Understand the interpersonal interaction skills needed for customer service
- Detail the importance of maintaining a positive attitude when dealing with customers
- Describe stress management techniques for working in customer service
- Recognize the important role of emotional intelligence in customer service
- Realize the importance of knowing the products and services offered
1. Essential Skills for Customer Service Personnel
In order to provide customers with a top-notch experience, you must be equipped with an arsenal of certain skills. This lesson identifies four major skills needed to excel in customer service: great listening, clear verbal communication, understanding of human behavior, and empathy.
2. Important Soft Skills for Good Customer Service
This lesson focuses on the interpersonal, or soft, skills needed to provide great customer service. We'll spend some time discussing why these skills are important and how they can help you provide the best service possible.
3. Soft Skills for Internal Customer Service
In this lesson, you'll find a brief review of the soft skills required for internal customer service. At the end of the lesson, you should be able to define the term, internal customer, as well as how to use soft skills to meet their needs in the workplace.
4. Interpersonal Interaction: Skills & Definition
Everything you do with and around others is considered interpersonal interaction. This lesson discusses situations of interpersonal interactions and the skills involved during those interactions.
5. Maintaining a Positive Attitude in Customer Service
Customer service can profoundly affect the customer experience. This lesson discusses the importance of having a positive outlook while working in customer service. It includes information on setting the tone of an interaction, building strong customer relationships, and working to maintain an authentic demeanor.
6. What is Stress Management? - Definition & Benefits
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of stress management, the benefits of practicing stress management and numerous stress management techniques.
7. The Role of Emotional Intelligence in Customer Service
Have you ever experienced a situation where the person you were dealing with did not understand or try to understand what you were feeling? Understanding what people are feeling is essential in customer service and can be referred to as emotional intelligence.
8. The Importance of Knowing Your Products & Services
This lesson describes the importance of knowing your products and services. It also explains the value that knowing your products and services can add to the customer experience.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 201: Customer Service course
- Customer Service Overview
- Customer Service Goals & Objectives
- Understanding Customer Satisfaction & Retention
- Customer Relations
- Customer Behavior & Appeals
- Identifying Customer Needs
- Proactive Customer Service
- Utilizing Customer Feedback in Customer Service
- Customer Service Leadership
- Team Building in Customer Service
- Conflict Resolution Strategies in Customer Service
- Telephone Customer Service
- Written Customer Service
- Customer Service Metrics