About This Chapter
Important People of the Revolutionary War - Chapter Summary
Our subject-matter experts present information about important people of the Revolutionary War. The roles of Wentworth Cheswell, Patrick Henry, and Thomas Jefferson are looked at in these lessons, along with:
- Facts and overview of John Adams
- Biography, facts and accomplishments of Abigail and Samuel Adams
- Biography of James Armistead Lafayette
- Role and importance of Ben Franklin in the American Revolution
- Pamphlets of Thomas Paine
- Facts and poems of Mercy Otis Warren
Lessons are short and each comes with a self-assessment quiz for your students to take. We include a feature that allows questions to be submitted to one of our experts. Progress can be tracked on the dashboard.
1. Who Was John Adams? - Facts & Overview
Read about the remarkable life of John Adams, including his role in drafting and promoting the Declaration of Independence. Learn about his relationship with Thomas Jefferson, and test your understanding of Adams's key historical roles with a quiz.
2. Abigail Adams: Biography, Facts & Accomplishments
Abigail Adams was the wife of President John Adams and the mother of John Quincy Adams. She proved to be much more than a figure head first lady, as she had great influence with President Adams.
3. Samuel Adams: Biography, Facts & History
The patriots needed someone radical, like Samuel Adams, when tensions with England were rising. Read more about this revolutionary with a rebellious nature was one of the major factors in the United States becoming an independent nation.
4. James Armistead Lafayette: Biography & Facts
The American Revolutionary War was fought by many who risked it all to fight for their freedoms, some more literally than others. In this lesson we'll talk about the life of former slave James Armistead Lafayette and his service in the war.
5. Who was Crispus Attucks? - Biography, Facts & Timeline
Almost nothing is known about his life before 1770--but his legacy afterwards has been immortalized. Crispus Attucks' status as the 'first to defy, the first to die' in the American Revolution has become a part of the permanent mythology of the American Revolution.
6. Wentworth Cheswell: Biography & Role in the Revolutionary War
In this lesson we will learn about the life of Wentworth Cheswell, highlight his role in the American Revolutionary War, and find out why he was an important figure in history.
7. Benjamin Franklin and the American Revolution: Importance & Role
Benjamin Franklin was in many ways the premier American Renaissance man. His life and career were as eclectic as they were extraordinary. Learn about the man, and read more about his role in the American Revolution.
8. Bernardo de Galvez: Biography & Role in the Revolutionary War
Bernardo de Galvez and his Spanish-led military campaigns helped the United States gain independence from the British. Read on to learn the story of this little-known hero of the American Revolution.
9. King George III: Biography, Facts & Quotes
George III is most famous in United States History as the King of Great Britain and Ireland who lost the Revolutionary War. His period of rule as was filled with conflict and scandal. There was a reason some people called him 'Crazy George'.
10. Patrick Henry: Quotes & Overview
Patrick Henry was a leader in the American Revolution who served as a governor of Virginia and a member of the Virginia House of Burgess and the Virginia House of Delegates. He was a strong advocate for independence and denounced British policy for many years.
11. Thomas Jefferson: Facts & Presidency
In this lesson, you'll learn about the key contributions of philosopher, statesman, and third president of the United States, Thomas Jefferson. Read on to learn about his authorship of the Declaration of Independence, his negotiation of the Louisiana Purchase, and his philosophical principles that shaped the early United States.
12. Marquis de Lafayette: Biography, Facts & Quotes
The Marquis de Lafayette was an aristocratic Frenchman who joined the American Revolution and befriended George Washington. He also played a key role in the French Revolution.
13. Who Was Thomas Paine? - Pamphlets & Facts
This lesson discusses Thomas Paine and two of the most important pamphlets of the Revolutionary Era. Learn more about Paine's life and the influence of his writing, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
14. Haym Salomon: Biography & Role in the American Revolution
The Revolutionary War was full of heroes, but not all of them were soldiers. In this lesson we'll explore the life of Haym Salomon and the financing of America's revolution.
15. Mercy Otis Warren: Biography, Facts, Timeline & Poems
Mercy Otis Warren was a prominent poet, writer, political activist, playwright, and historian. She is best known as the author of a three-volume work on the American Revolution.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Social Studies - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- European Exploration & Colonization in America
- The Revolutionary Era
- Early American Government
- Jacksonian America
- Westward Expansion in America
- Sectionalism in the U.S.
- The American Civil War Era
- Famous Addresses of the American Civil War
- Significant Civil War Era Figures
- The Reconstruction Era After the American Civil War
- American Geography Overview
- History of American Immigration
- Defining American Culture
- History of American Arts
- Principles of American Government
- Origin of Self-Government
- U.S. Supreme Court Cases & Decisions
- American Citizenship Overview
- American Political Parties & Interest Groups
- American Leadership & Contributions
- History of American Economics
- Impact of Science & Technology on American Society
- Social Studies Skills
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Social Studies - Grade 8 Flashcards