About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Important Renal Anatomy chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Gross anatomy of the urinary system;|
Anatomy of the kidney
|Structures of the entire urinary system;|
Divisions and structures of the kidney
|Tuesday||Anatomy of the nephron||Structures and functions of the glomerulus|
|Wednesday||Supportive structures of the nephron||Names and functions of the supportive structures of the nephron|
|Thursday||Renal tubule||Definition, function and terms related to the renal tubule|
|Friday||Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System (RAAS)||Pathway, functions and terms related to RAAS|
1. Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System (RAAS): Pathway, Functions & Terms
The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system is one of the most complex and important systems in controlling the blood pressure in your body. As we go over this system, you'll also learn about the many hormones involved in the control of your body's glomerular filtration rate and blood pressure.
2. The Renal Tubule: Definition, Function & Terms
Renal tubules are essential structures in the kidneys. This lesson explores the function of the renal tubule and its parts, including the proximal and distal convoluted tubules, the loop of Henle, and the collecting duct. Learn how these components work together to absorb materials and form urine.
3. Supportive Structures of the Nephron: Functions and Definitions
In this lesson, you'll learn about the supportive structures of the nephron, including the juxtaglomerular apparatus, juxtaglomerular cells, macula densa, and mesangial cells. You'll also explore enzymes and hormones like renin and erythropoietin and learn why they are so important to the body.
4. The Nephron: The Glomerulus's Major Structures and Functions
Together, the glomerulus and Bowman's capsule make up the renal corpuscle of the nephron. These parts of the nephron filter blood and are vital to our body's survival. In this lesson, you'll explore the major corpuscular structures and their functions.
5. The Kidney: Major Divisions & Structures
Learn about the major layers of the kidneys, like the renal cortex and renal medulla. Find out about the inner parts of the kidneys, including the renal papilla, renal pelvis, renal pyramid, and renal hilum.
6. Gross Anatomy of the Urinary System
Our body must detoxify and cleanse itself to thrive. That is why we depend so heavily on our liver and urinary system. In this lesson, we'll explore how toxins are filtered by our organs and how urine is formed and expelled with the nephron, bladder, ureters, and urethra.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pathophysiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Pathophysiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Aberrant Immune System Lesson Plans
- The Pathophysiology of Neoplasia Lesson Plans
- Skin Related Pathology Lesson Plans
- Nervous System Injury Lesson Plans
- Major Nervous System Disorders Lesson Plans
- Congenital Cardiovascular Defects Lesson Plans
- Acquired Cardiovascular Abnormalities Lesson Plans
- Respiratory System Pathologies Lesson Plans
- Urinary System Diseases Lesson Plans
- Gastrointestinal System Conditions Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Derangements Lesson Plans
- Anemia Lesson Plans
- Hematological Maladies Lesson Plans
- Blood Cancers Lesson Plans
- Musculoskeletal System Alternations Lesson Plans
- Reproductive System Disorders Lesson Plans
- Electrolytes, Cells & Blood Proteins Test Results Lesson Plans
- Organ Function & Health Test Results Lesson Plans