About This Chapter
Improving Service in the Hospitality Industry - Chapter Summary
Customer service and satisfaction are highly important to the success of the hospitality industry. Use this chapter's lessons to delve into these concepts and gain a quality understanding of training, coaching and team building in hospitality. Test your knowledge of the lessons you review by taking their accompanying self-assessment quizzes. Clarify details you don't understand by sending your questions to our experts. All the resources and features in this chapter are available 24/7 and can be accessed using any computer or mobile device. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to:
- List types of customer service and discuss its importance
- Define customer satisfaction
- Discuss guest satisfaction and customer service in the hospitality industry
- Share the definition and dimensions of service quality
- Identify and describe four ways to set and exceed customer expectations
- Outline how organizations recover after bad service experiences
- Provide methods businesses use to predict customer needs
- Explain the importance of training, coaching and team building in the hospitality industry
1. What Is Customer Service? - Definition, Types & Role in Marketing
Customer service is the act of taking care of the customer's needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high quality service and assistance before, during, and after the customer's requirements are met.
2. What is Customer Satisfaction? - Definition & Examples
Customer satisfaction is essential for business success in today's marketplace. In this lesson, you'll learn what customer satisfaction is and be provided some examples. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Hospitality Industry: Customer Service & Guest Satisfaction
This lesson discusses customer service and guest satisfaction in the hospitality industry. It also describes why they are important and how they impact the company's success.
4. Service Quality: Definition & Dimensions
What do you consider when you gauge the quality of the customer service you receive? Businesses must consider different aspects of service quality in order to meet and exceed customer expectations. This lesson will define service quality and explain its dimensions.
5. Setting & Exceeding Customer Expectations
There are four key ways to set and exceed customer expectations. By following these recommendations, you can have loyal, happy clients who feel your business exceeds their expectations every time.
6. How Organizations Recover From Bad Service Experiences
It is a known fact that people are more likely to talk about a bad service experience more than they are to talk about a good service experience. This is why every organization needs to have a plan to recover from bad service experiences.
7. Methods for Predicting Customer Needs
A crucial part of running a successful business is determining and fulfilling customer needs. This lesson discusses the importance of being able to predict customer needs and providing methods for doing so.
8. Importance of Training in the Hospitality Industry
This lesson discusses the importance of training in the hospitality industry. It also provides examples of how training benefits organizations in the hospitality industry.
9. Coaching in the Hospitality Industry
This lesson discusses the importance of coaching in the hospitality industry and how manager-led coaching can improve customer service and team collaboration.
10. The Importance of Team Building in the Hospitality Industry
Team building is more important than ever in the hospitality industry. This lesson describes four types of teams and discusses why team building is important in the hospitality industry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 101: Introduction to Hospitality course
- Hospitality Industry Overview
- Leadership & Management in the Hospitality Industry
- Key Management Functions in the Hospitality Industry
- Communication & Decision-Making in the Hospitality Industry
- Planning & Organizing in the Hospitality Industry
- Control Systems & Issues in the Hospitality Industry
- Hotel Classifications & Operations
- Food, Beverage & Alcohol Operations
- Restaurant Organization & Operations Overview
- Tourism & Recreation
- Gaming Industry Overview
- Meetings, Conventions, Expositions & Special Events
- Studying for Hospitality 101