About This Chapter
Indigenous Peoples of South America - Chapter Summary
This mobile-friendly chapter provides an overview of the indigenous peoples of South America, including the Aymara, Guarani, Huaorani and Quechua peoples. As you progress through these bite-sized lessons, you'll learn all about these cultures' religions, music, clothing, languages, histories and much more. When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to reinforce your understanding of key concepts. The online format of the chapter allows you to study at any time that fits your schedule. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Describe the language, culture, religion, history, music, art and clothing of the Aymara people
- Assess the Guarani people's history, religion, missions, language, culture, food, art and music
- Discuss the Huaorani people's culture and language
- Identify the location of the Quechua tribe
- Summarize the life of Bolivian president Evo Morales
1. Aymara People: Language, Culture & Religion
In this lesson, learn about the Aymara people, an indigenous culture of the Andean highlands. Discover their language, explore their food, symbols and other aspects of their culture as well as the most relevant features of their religion.
2. The History of the Aymara Tribe of the Andes
Living from the land, planting and harvesting, or hand-weaving boats for fishing on a crystal-blue lake in South America are some of the things the Aymara Tribe in the Andes does daily. This lesson will discuss the tribe's history through the ages.
3. The Aymara Tribe: Music, Art & Clothing
Colorful woven textiles and music played on distinct instruments like panpipes and charangos. They're from a very old native South American culture. In this lesson, explore the clothing, music and art of the Aymara tribe.
4. Guarani People: History, Religion & Missions
The Guarani are the ancient people who occupied parts of Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina. In this lesson, learn about their ancient and modern lifestyle, as well as their unique religion and the role it plays in their lives.
5. Guarani of Paraguay: Language, Culture & Food
In this lesson, learn about the Guarani, a native group from Paraguay and the surrounding areas. Explore some relevant aspects of their culture, as well as their language. Also, study the basics of their traditional gastronomy.
6. Art & Music of the Guarani Tribe
How does a culture maintain its character through centuries of challenges? Can its art reflect a complex mix of influences? In this lesson, explore the art and music of the Guarani Tribe.
7. Huaorani People of Ecuador: Culture & Waorani Language
This lesson focuses on various cultural aspects of the Huaorani people of Ecuador including their relationships, social habits, language, diet, and lifestyle.
8. Quechua Tribe: Location & Language
In this lesson explore the Quechua, a large group of tribes living in the South American Andes. Discover where they are and have been historically located and also, learn about the main features of their language.
9. Bolivian President Evo Morales: Biography & Quotes
In this lesson, we will learn about Bolivian president Evo Morales. First coming to office in 2006, Morales is an avowed socialist and the first Amerindian president of Bolivia, hailing from the country's Aymara indigenous group.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History, Culture & People of the Americas course
- The Pre-Columbian Era
- The Aztec Empire
- The Mayan Empire
- The Moche Civilization
- The Toltec Empire
- European Arrival & Colonization of the Americas
- Indigenous Peoples of the Carribean
- Indigenous Peoples, Culture & History of Mexico
- Independence Movements & Organizations of Indigenous Peoples
- The Iroquois Confederacy