About This Chapter
Individual Behavior in Organizations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The study of individual behavior in organizations is essential to understanding organizational behavior as a whole. In this chapter, you will learn about the terminology used to describe individuals' behavior and why these terms are important. Video lessons will highlight the diversity of individuals from their demographic characteristics to their abilities. This chapter also includes lesson quizzes that will help you assess your what you've learned. The lessons in this chapter include topics like:
- The impact of biographical and demographical characteristics on individual behavior
- Definitions of terms related to individual behavior, including self-concept and self-monitoring
- The factors that influence individuals' behavior in the workplace
|Individual Diversity: Biographical & Demographical Characteristics||Discover factors that make up individual diversity.|
|Individual Intellectual & Physical Abilities in Organizational Behavior||Examine how intellectual and physical abilities relate to organizational behavior.|
|Self-Concept & Self-Esteem in Organizational Behavior||Define terms like self-concept, self-esteem and cognition.|
|Self-Efficacy & Self-Monitoring in Organizational Behavior||Investigate why self-efficacy and self-monitoring are important in organizational behavior.|
|Influences on Individual Behavior in the Workplace||Identify the factors that influence individuals' behavior at work.|
1. Individual Diversity: Biographical & Demographical Characteristics
Biological and demographic characteristics such as age, gender, race and length of tenure are easily acquired through work documents, and these characteristics can help predict how individuals will behave at work.
2. Individual Intellectual & Physical Abilities in Organizational Behavior
Employees need to have certain abilities that will make them a valuable addition to an organization. Intellectual and physical abilities are two key types of traits that organizations look for employees to have depending on the job requirements.
3. Self-Concept & Self-Esteem in Organizational Behavior
Companies have to have a clear understanding of employee personality traits in order to motivate, challenge and train them to be productive. Two traits that affect an individual's view of themselves are self-concept and self-esteem.
4. Self-Efficacy & Self-Monitoring in Organizational Behavior
There are many personality characteristics of employees that occur within organizations, which determine their level of success. Self-efficacy and self-monitoring are two traits that can aid companies into developing productive employees.
5. Influences on Individual Behavior in the Workplace
There are many factors that influence how an individual performs in the workplace. Learn about characteristics including demographics, ability, and personality.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Organizational Behavior: Help and Review course
- The Evolution of Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Management and Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Foundations of Individual Behavior: Help and Review
- Personality and Behavior in Organizations: Help and Review
- Emotions and Moods in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Emotions & Moods in Organizations
- Attitudes and Values in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Ethics in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Perception and Attribution: Help and Review
- Learning in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Employee Motivation: Help and Review
- Individual Decision Making in Organizations: Help and Review
- Workforce Diversity: Help and Review
- Organizational Communication in Business: Help and Review
- Groups and Work Teams: Help and Review
- Group Decision Making: Help and Review
- Conflict in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Leadership in Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Leadership Theory in Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Leadership Styles in Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Organizational Structure and Design: Help and Review
- Job Design: Help and Review
- Organizational Culture: Help and Review
- Organizational Change and Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Managing Workplace Stress: Help and Review
- Career Management: Help and Review
- Theories of Leadership
- Leadership Styles
- Global Implications of Organizational Behavior: Help and Review