About This Chapter
1. Labor Force: Definition & Concept
The labor force is a fundamental component of every modern economy. In this lesson, you'll learn what the labor force is and some of its important concepts.
2. What is Unemployment? - Definition, Causes & Effects
What is unemployment? If you are currently out of work, you certainly know what this is. But the government has a specific way of looking at unemployment, and you might actually not be considered unemployed by its definition! Read on to learn why.
3. What is a Minimum Wage? - Definition & History
Minimum wage is the lowest amount an employer can pay its employees for work performed. In the United States, the minimum wage was first enacted by Congress in 1938. Learn more about it in this lesson.
4. What is Cost of Living? - Expenses & Overview
Most everyone would like a COLA, and we're not talking about soft drinks. In this lesson, you'll learn what cost of living is and some of its key concepts. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz.
5. The Effects of Globalization on Labor Conditions
In this lesson, we'll discuss the effects of globalization on labor conditions around the world. Migration, worker exploitation, and the roles of unions in improving working conditions will also be examined.
6. Factors Affecting the Distribution of Wealth & Income
Distribution of wealth and income are important parts of any society, but often, they're distributed unequally. Governments step in with various policies to try and lessen this gap. Let's explore some of these concepts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies (5004): Study Guide & Practice course
- European Exploration & Colonization
- The American Revolution & New Nation
- Growth & Expansion of the Republic
- The Civil War & Reconstruction
- Post-Civil War Business & Labor
- 20th Century Developments & Transformations
- Post-WWII History & Society
- Purposes & Forms of Government
- Rights & Responsibilities of Citizens
- Geography, Places & Regions
- Physical & Human Systems
- Environment & Society
- Uses of Geography
- Anthropology Overview
- Social Groups, Conflict, Status, & Roles
- Ancient Egypt, Greece, & Rome
- World History of the 20th Century
- Globalization in the 20th Century
- Overview of Economic Concepts & Terms
- Economics' Effect on Population & Resources
- Government's Role in Economics
- Economic Systems & International Economics