About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Inequalities: College Math chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Concept of inequalities||Inequalities in everyday life; 1-variable, 2-variable, less than and more than|
|Tuesday||Graphs of 1- and 2-variable inequalities||Compare solid line and dotted line|
|Wednesday||Systems of inequalities and compound inequalities||Set notation|
|Thursday||Graphs of inequalities||Graphs for systems of inequalities|
|Friday||Absolute value inequalities||Set notation and compound inequality|
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Mathematics Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Math Foundations: College Math Lesson Plans
- Linear Equations: College Math Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations: College Math Lesson Plans
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers: College Math Lesson Plans
- Properties of Exponents: College Math Lesson Plans
- Properties of Polynomials: College Math Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions: College Math Lesson Plans
- Properties of Functions: College Math Lesson Plans
- Logarithms & Exponential Equations: College Math Lesson Plans
- Logic: College Math Lesson Plans
- Sets: College Math Lesson Plans
- Probability & Statistics: College Math Lesson Plans
- Geometry: College Math Lesson Plans