About This Chapter
The Inequalities chapter of this College Algebra Help and Review course is the simplest way to master how to graph inequalities. This chapter uses simple and fun videos that are about five minutes long, plus lesson quizzes and a chapter exam to ensure students learn the essentials of inequalities.
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college algebra material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn college-level algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding set notation or working with inequalities.
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about inequalities
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Inequalities chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Inequalities chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any inequalities question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an Inequalities unit of a standard college algebra course. Topics covered include:
- Real-life inequalities, such as less than and greater than
- Graphing 1- and 2-variable inequalities
- Set notation, compound inequalities and systems of inequalities
- Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
7. How to Convert 1 Million Pennies to Dollars: Steps & Tutorial
How would you convert an insane number of pennies into dollars? This lesson gives a step-by-step tutorial for creating conversion factors and also faster ways to divide by 100 than using a calculator.
8. Converting 1 Second to Microseconds: How-To & Tutorial
Advances in technology have required the adoption of smaller and smaller units of time, like the microseconds used in many science and engineering applications. In this lesson, you'll learn how to convert seconds to microseconds.
9. How to Solve 'And' & 'Or' Compound Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn the difference between a conjunction and a disjunction and how to solve and graph 'and' and 'or' inequalities on the number line.
10. How to Solve and Graph One-Variable Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn that solving inequalities is very similar to solving equations, but the solutions to inequalities are not so similar. Learn how to graph these solutions to better understand inequalities.
11. Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality: History, Applications & Example
Knowing the largest something can be is a good thing and inequalities help us do this. In this lesson, we make sense of the often-used Cauchy-Schwarz inequality by providing some historical background, citing some applications, and doing an example.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Overview of Real Numbers
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Using FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics to Factor: Help & Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Working with Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Math Expressions and Formulas
- Functions: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Basic Number Sense and Operations