About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Algebra II Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about inequalities. There is no faster or easier way to learn about inequalities. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about absolute value, compound and systems of inequalities; graphing of inequalities and set notation.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and an Inequalities unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Inequalities Unit Objectives:
- Demonstrate how to graph 1-variable and 2-variable inequalities.
- Understand set notation, compound inequalities and systems of inequalities.
- Show how to solve and graph absolute value inequalities.
- Learn methods for translating math sentences to inequalities.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
7. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra II: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Basic Arithmetic: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponential Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Systems of Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Matrices & Determinants: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomials: Homeschool Curriculum
- Factoring: Homeschool Curriculum
- Factoring Quadratic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rational Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing & Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Roots & Radical Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Logarithmic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Conic Sections: Homeschool Curriculum
- Sequences & Series: Homeschool Curriculum
- Sets in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum
- Combinatorics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Ratios & Percent: Homeschool Curriculum
- Statistics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum