About This Chapter
Inequalities Overview - Chapter Summary
Our instructors explain what a mathematical inequality is, followed by how to graph one- and two-variable inequalities. You will learn about set notation, systems of inequalities and compound inequalities. Practice problems follow that allow you to use the skills you've learned to graph inequalities.
Your study continues with an explanation of how to graph and solve an absolute value inequality, and practice problems are also provided. After you have reviewed this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define inequality
- Graph one-and two-variable inequalities
- Describe compound inequalities
- Solve graphing inequality problems
- Calculate absolute value inequalities
If you require assistance as you work through the lessons, contact one of our instructors for help. Our mobile-friendly lessons and quizzes are accessible to you at any time, seven days a week. You can use the quizzes and chapter tests to see how well you understand the material and where you may need to focus additional study.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PCAT: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Verbal Ability: Analogies
- Verbal Ability: Sentence Completion
- Biology: Cell Structure & Division
- Biology: Cellular Processes
- Biology: DNA & Enzymes
- Biology: Genetics
- Animal & Human Behavior
- Biology: Evolution & Natural Selection
- Speciation, Extinction & Taxonomy
- Biology: Intro to Nutrition
- Biology: Nutrition - Carbohydrates
- Biology: Nutrition - Lipids
- Protein in Nutrition
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Biology: Types of Diseases
- Microrganisms & Microbial Ecology
- Medical Microbiology
- Microbiology: The Immune System
- Structures of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Human Skeletal System
- Muscular System
- The Human Nervous System
- Human Circulatory System Basics
- The Circulatory System, Blood & Blood Vessels
- Respiratory System
- Urinary Systems & Structures
- Functions of the Human Digestive System
- Overview of the Endocrine System
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Integumentary System Overview
- The Five Senses of the Human Body
- The Atom and Atomic Theory
- Chemical Bonding in Physical Chemistry
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Solids
- Gas Laws
- Kinetics & Thermodynamics
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Nuclear Processes
- Organic & Inorganic Chemistry
- Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- Fractions & Percents
- Solving Algebraic Equations
- Linear Equations Overview
- Understanding the Basics of Functions
- Interpreting Tables & Plots
- Basic Statistics & Probability
- Linear Regression & Correlation
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Complex Numbers & Vectors
- Limits of Functions
- Overview of Continuity
- Rate of Change & Calculating Derivatives
- Integrals & Antiderivatives
- PCAT Flashcards