About This Chapter
Infant Growth & Development - Chapter Summary
With the lessons in this chapter, you'll renew your understanding of the physical, cognitive and emotional development of children under two years old. By the end of this chapter, you will have reviewed:
- Psychological and emotional growth
- Brain, motor and sensory development
- Perceptual and cognitive development
- Creativity and intelligence
- Information processing and memory formation
- Emotional expressivity
The lessons in this chapter have been specially formulated to help you effectively interpret and retain information on infant growth and development. Each lesson contains a video to help visually exhibit the material. The video's transcript is included for text-based learning. You can take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to apply what you've learned. If you find that you need to review a portion of the lesson, utilize the timeline below the video for easy navigation to exactly the spot you need to re-visit.
1. Defining the Principles of Growth in Psychology
Everyone grows and changes throughout life. But how does this development occur? In this lesson, we'll look at the two main principles of growth and development: the Cephalocaudal Principle and the Proximodistal Principle.
2. Motor, Sensory & Brain Development in the First Two Years of Life
Babies grow and change so much in the first two years of life, and many of those changes are directly tied to the brain and its key functions. In this lesson, we'll look at brain, motor and sensory development in infants.
3. Infant Perceptual Development and the Five Senses
What is habituation and how does it affect perceptual development in an infant? Learn the answer to this question and more as this lesson explores sensory development in infants.
4. Infant Cognitive Development: Sensorimotor Stage & Object Permanence
Jean Piaget's theory of development includes the sensorimotor stage, which happens in the first two years of life. In this lesson, we'll look at some of the important cognitive developments that occur during that stage.
5. Infant Creativity and Intelligence
How is infant intelligence measured? In this lesson, you'll learn to recognize common measures of infant intelligence as well as what information these measures can provide.
6. Memory and Information Processing in Infants
The way adults think is vastly different from the way that children think. In this lesson, we'll explore cognitive development and look at how infants begin to think like adults, including the concepts of information processing and memory.
7. Emotional Expression in the First Two Years of Life
In the first two years of life, a baby goes through many big changes. In this lesson, we'll look at some of the emotional changes that occur in infants, including important milestones in socioemotional development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Growth & Development in Adulthood
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Health of the Aging Population
- Dying and Bereavement in Older Adults
- Understanding the Disease Process
- Pathogens & the Immune System
- Nutritional Health & Diet Planning
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Weight Management & Energy Needs
- Understanding Dental Health
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Effects of Sleep on Health
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Making Health Decisions
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Managing Family & Peer Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Community & Public Health
- Child Abuse & Abduction
- Sexual Harassment & Violence
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Environmental Pollution & Health Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- PLACE Health Flashcards