About This Chapter
Infection Control & Sterilization - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, experienced instructors will guide you through step-by-step processes regarding how to sterilize one's hands and surgical tools as well as the use of antiseptics and disinfectants in medical settings. You'll learn how to use hand sanitizers and alcohol while looking at the importance of maintaining hand hygiene when working in the healthcare field.
Video lessons contain illustrations and examples to help you better understand the material. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the basic principles of infection control
- Understand the development of disease and differentiate between infections and diseases
- Describe the chain of infection
- Define medical and surgical asepsis
- Discuss the terms antiseptic, disinfectant and sterilization
- Tell the difference between normal and transient flora
- Detail proper hand-washing techniques before performing surgery
- Choose the right hand sanitizer and apply techniques for putting on and removing non-sterile gloves
- Use autoclaves to sterilize surgical tools
- Understand the use of alcohol as a disinfectant and antiseptic
- Relate how asepsis is transmitted
Short, engaging video lessons provide effective means to review this material and make the learning experience easy and fun. You can print lesson transcripts and use them as quick reference guides to help you study for tests or review them before class discussions. Self-assessment quizzes found at the end of each lesson helps you to determine how much you have learned and which topics you might need to further review.
1. Basic Principles of Infection Control
We are going to gain an understanding of microorganisms and what it means to be pathogenic. This lesson will go on to discuss the importance of infection control.
2. Progress of Disease: Infection to Recovery
This lesson will teach you about the five basic steps of the development of disease, what they are called, and what occurs during each phase. We'll talk about the incubation and prodromal period as well as the periods of convalescence, decline, and illness.
3. The Differences Between Infection and Disease
This lesson will go over the differences between an infection and a disease. We'll cover everything from prions and infectivity to opportunistic infections and idiopathic disease. We'll also learn what the etiology of disease is and much more.
4. Chain of Infection: Definition & Example
Infectious disease results from the interaction of an agent, a host, and an environment. Most of these diseases follow a typical chain of infection that ends with an infected host. Understanding the chain of infection can help with both the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases.
5. Medical Asepsis: Precautions & Case Example
Medical asepsis is a complex and very important topic. This lesson introduces you to its definition, core aspects, and tests your knowledge with a case example.
6. Surgical Asepsis: Sterilization & the Surgical Conscience
This lesson will define surgical asepsis, outline the different types of sterilization procedures, and go over the important concept of maintaining a surgical (sterile) conscience.
7. Antiseptics, Disinfectants & Sterilization
This lesson will discuss the differences between antisepsis, disinfection, and sterilization as well as some of the methods used for sterilization and antiseptic compounds you may have used yourself.
8. What Are Normal Flora & Transient Flora? - Definitions
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the major difference between normal and transient flora, as well as a couple examples of each and how all this applies day to day.
9. Hand Hygiene for Health Care: When & How to Clean Hands
In this lesson, you're going to learn the definition of hygiene, why hand hygiene is important, and step-by-step instructions on how to properly wash your hands.
10. How to Use Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizers
In this lesson, you'll learn what is better: washing your hands or using a hand sanitizer. You'll learn what hand sanitizer you need to get and how to properly use one.
11. How to Apply & Remove Non-Sterile Gloves
In this lesson, you're going to learn how to put on and remove non-sterile gloves. By following the steps in this lesson, you'll help keep yourself and your patients safe.
12. Autoclaves and Moist Heat Sterilization: Use With Surgical Tools
This lesson will discuss what an autoclave is, how it works, and what it's used for. We'll also discuss the disadvantages of an autoclave, bacterial endospores, and how sterilization is important in the context of nosocomial infections.
13. Using Alcohol as a Disinfectant and Antiseptic
This lesson will discuss how alcohol can be used as a disinfectant and antiseptic but not a sterilant. We'll also talk about what it kills and doesn't kill and why ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are the two most commonly used alcohol-based disinfectants.
14. Infection Transmission & Susceptibility
Avoiding infection in medical settings is critical, especially in people who are already sick or injured. In this lesson we'll learn about how a person becomes infected and risk factors that make them susceptible to infection.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards