About This Chapter
Influence in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
The short text and video lessons in this chapter offer insight into all aspects of influence in the workplace. Watching the lessons can help your employees better understand the following:
- The meaning of power and influence in the workplace
- Factors that influence individual behavior in the workplace
- Influence tactics used in organizational behavior
- The misuse of power and influence
Have your employees watch the lessons in corporate training sessions where you can hold group discussions on influence in the workplace. They can also watch the videos independently on their computers or smartphones then take lesson quizzes that help you gauge their comprehension of the topics.
How It Helps
- Creates awareness: The lessons help your employees become aware of the existence of influence in the workplace, as well as its impact on an individual's behavior and the organization as a whole.
- Encourages tolerance: This chapter offers insight into the reasons some people behave the way they do in the workplace, creating the incentive to want to understand one another and act with tolerance.
- Reduces workplace conflict: As employees learn what it means to properly utilize influence, they can actively reduce or eliminate instances of workplace conflict by avoiding the misuse of influence.
After reviewing the lessons in this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Discuss the roles influence, persuasion and power play in the workplace
- Identify the factors that influence an individual's behavior on the job
- List and explain seven different power tactics and their use in the workplace
- Examine sexual harassment, power plays and other misuses of power and influence
1. Influences on Individual Behavior in the Workplace
There are many factors that influence how an individual performs in the workplace. Learn about characteristics including demographics, ability, and personality.
2. The Seven Influence Tactics Used in Organizational Behavior
Power is not always used where we can see it. Sometimes, it is more a part of a person's actions than someone directly telling you to do something. In this lesson, we will address different power tactics and how they are sometimes used in the workplace.
3. How Power & Influence Are Misused
At some point, it is certain that people will have power over you, whether it is your parents, your teachers, or even the law. In this lesson, we will see how such power and influence can be misused and how they can be resisted.
4. Practical Application: The Seven Influence Tactics Used in Organizational Behavior
People use and are exposed to power every day in the workplace. In organizations people employ different tactics to persuade others or promote a project. Using this scenario, practice applying your knowledge of the seven influence tactics commonly found in organizations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the How to Positively Influence Others in the Workplace course