About This Chapter
Influences on Early Childhood Development - Chapter Summary
Develop a deeper understanding of what can impact the development of young children using the lessons contained in this chapter. Learn, for instance, how nutrition, physical activity and even the environment play roles in various developmental areas.
Each of these lessons provide detailed examples to ensure that you fully understand each of the concepts being discussed. After you complete this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Understand how divorce, abusive relationships, neglect and parental substance abuse impact development
- Explain how physical activity and nutrition affect cognitive, physical, social and emotional development
- Discuss how socioeconomic status, culture identity, language and the environment impact all areas of development
- Describe the effects of both positive and negative experiences on development
- Detail how individual differences such as gender and temperament impact development
- Provide information about how the brain is stimulated and developed by teachers and parents
Lessons in video and text formats provide expert instruction and 24/7 accessibility to make learning easy and convenient. Each lesson takes less than ten minutes to review and you can print lesson transcripts to create quick reference materials. Self-assessment quizzes measure your readiness in moving from one lesson to the next as you progress through the chapter.
1. Social Issues that Impact Early Childhood Development
Young children are growing and changing every day as part of early childhood development. But what happens when issues get in the way of development? Watch this video for more information on how divorce and parental substance abuse can affect children.
2. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
3. How Physical Activity Impacts Childhood Development
Physical activity is an important aspect of childhood development for many reasons. This lesson will explore the importance of physical activity for healthy development and will end with a quiz to test your knowledge.
4. How Nutrition Impacts Early Childhood Development
Poor nutrition in early childhood can significantly impair healthy growth and development. This lesson will discuss the impact of nutrition on early childhood development and provide examples of poor versus healthy eating habits.
5. How Socioeconomic Status Impacts Early Childhood Development
There are many genetic and environmental factors that are key to early childhood development. In this lesson, you'll learn how a child's socioeconomic status affects various areas of their early childhood development.
6. How Culture Identity Impacts Early Childhood Development
In this lesson, we explain the ways in which cultural identity impacts cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language development in children ages 2-5 and provide examples for each developmental domain.
7. How Experiences Impact Early Childhood Development
In this lesson, we will explain the ways in which positive and negative experiences impact cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language development in children ages 2-5.
8. How Environment Impacts Early Childhood Development
This lesson explores how environment impacts cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language development in children ages two to five and provides examples of some of the possible environmental factors.
9. How Language Impacts Early Childhood Development
In this lesson, we will explain the ways in which language impacts cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language development in children ages 2-5 and provide examples for each developmental domain.
10. How Individual Differences Impact Early Childhood Development
In this lesson, we will explain the ways in which the uniqueness of a child and individual differences like health, physical characteristics, heredity, and temperament can impact cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language development in children ages 2-5.
11. How Brain Development Influences Holistic Development in Children
What can you do as a pre-K teacher to stimulate brain development in young children? This lesson will help you understand the importance of developing the whole child and provide you with some suggested activities for doing just that.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education (5531): Practice & Study Guide course
- Development of Young Children
- Basics of Early Childhood Education
- Language Development in Children
- Atypical Development & Delays
- Federal Legislation Related to Children With Exceptionalities
- Accommodating Children With Diverse Needs
- Adaptive & Assistive Equipment for Learning
- Multicultural & Antibias Curriculum
- Early Childhood Classroom Safety
- Learning Environments in Early Education
- Managing the Learning Environment
- Instructional Planning for Early Education
- Instructional Processes for Early Education
- Grouping Techniques for Classrooms
- Integrated Curriculum & Interdisciplinary Connections for ECE
- Art Education for Early Childhood
- Physical Health & Wellness Education
- Fundamentals of Literacy in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Math in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Social Studies in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Science in Early Education
- Assessment Data in Early Education
- Early Childhood Educational Technology
- Assessments in Early Childhood Education
- Professional Development for Early Childhood Teachers
- Ethics & Professionalism in Early Education
- Family Collaboration & Advocacy in Early Childhood Education
- Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Flashcards