About This Chapter
Influences on Health Information - Chapter Summary
Our expert instructors will show you the factors that come into play when assessing the validity of different health information sources. By the end of this chapter you'll have greater confidence in:
- Assessing health literacy
- Gauging the reliability of different sources of health information
- Naming major health problems in the United States
- Understanding the role of demographics
- Economic considerations
- Defining advertisement
- Understanding subliminal advertisement
- Evaluating media influences on student health choices.
Our informative video lessons come with convenient video tags that help you focus on the items you're struggling with. Plus you can track your progress along the way using our self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson. Quickly navigate through lesson content and improve your reviewing efficiency with this chapter.
1. What Is Health Literacy? - Definition & Assessment
In this lesson you will learn about health literacy and its health implications. You will also learn why health literacy it is important and how to improve it. You will be introduced to the various tools available for measuring health literacy.
2. Sources of Health Information: Overview & Reliability
The Internet is full of information and misinformation. This lesson will teach you how to identify the major sources of health information and determine if they are truly credible.
3. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
4. The Role of Demographics on Health: Global Perspective & Influences
This lesson will explain to you the many different factors that influence the likelihood or possibility of developing health related problems. Namely, we'll talk about the environment, the world at large, and things like income, gender, and ethnic background.
5. Economics and Health: Healthcare, Medical Issues & Income
What is the relationship between economy and health? In this lesson, we discuss differences in healthcare and medical issues in low-income versus high-income countries. We also define social epidemiology and discuss the link between poverty and poor health.
6. What is Advertising? - Definition & Examples
The greatest product or service in the world won't make money unless consumers know it exists. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of advertising, common advertising media, and read some examples of effective advertising.
7. Subliminal Advertising: Definition, History & Examples
Can words flashed quickly on a screen make you want to purchase a product? Can a hidden image persuade you to spend your hard-earned cash on something you don't need? These questions surrounding subliminal advertising are discussed in this lesson.
8. The Media's Mixed Messages About Health
In this lesson you'll be analyzing the media's mixed messages when it comes to health. We'll specifically get into messages around body image, sexuality, drug use, and violence. By the end of the lesson you'll have strategies to identify and analyze these types of advertisements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Health (023): Practice & Study Guide course
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Factors Influencing Health
- Disease & Illness
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrition Basics
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Nutritional Balance
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Emotional & Mental Health Management
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Stress Management
- Sexual & Reproductive Health
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Strategies for Injury Prevention
- Interpersonal Communication Techniques
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Personal & Family Health Decisions
- Setting Health Goals
- Health Education Programs
- Academic Health Education Programs
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Health Flashcards