About This Chapter
Influences on Human Growth & Development - Chapter Summary
There are several genetic and environmental factors that can influence and impact the process of human growth and development. In this chapter, our expert instructors identify and explain the effects of such factors, including child abuse, neglect and socioeconomic status. You'll also see how factors can influence development during late adulthood. Completing this chapter can help you:
- Describe the interaction between the environment and genetics in human development
- Identify factors that influence human growth and development
- Explain how abuse and neglect can impact a child's growth and development
- Determine how early childhood development can be impacted by socioeconomic status
- Recognize late adulthood developmental influences
When you complete a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you fully understand the information. You can also take the chapter exam to solidify your knowledge of human growth and development influences. Access the chapter at any time using your computer or mobile device, and feel free to revisit the lesson materials as many times as needed. Finally, the chapter includes an Ask the Expert feature that allows you to submit any questions you may have.
1. Factors Influencing Growth & Development
There are numerous factors that play various roles in our growth and development. This lesson looks at the main categories of factors and specific examples of their impact on growth and development.
2. How Genetics and the Environment Interact in Human Development
Everyone is different. But what makes a person unique? In this lesson, we'll examine the way genes and the environment affect who a person is, including looking at the nature vs. nurture debate and looking at how nature and nurture influence one another.
3. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
4. How Socioeconomic Status Impacts Early Childhood Development
There are many genetic and environmental factors that are key to early childhood development. In this lesson, you'll learn how a child's socioeconomic status affects various areas of their early childhood development.
5. Influences on Development in Late Adulthood
As people age, they go through many changes, both positive and negative. In this lesson, we'll look at the major influences on development in late adulthood, including normative and non-normative change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test II (045): Study Guide & Practice course
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- The Development of Adults
- Developmental Milestones & Abnormalities
- Early Childhood Education Overview
- Family, Interpersonal & Love Relationships
- Relationship Conflict & Communication
- Beginning the Parenting Process
- Parenting Process
- Family Resources
- Family & Consumer Sciences Careers & Education
- Basic Career Skills
- Education Theories & Assessments
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test II (045) Flashcards