About This Chapter
Influences on Interpersonal Communication- Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons explore the different influences on interpersonal communication. By offering corporate training in the area of communication, you can help your employees understand its importance. They will study topics that include:
- Cultural competency
- Nonverbal communication
- Emotional expression
These lessons are short and they only average about five minutes in length. The videos come with a timeline feature that allows your employees to skip around the lessons to specific parts. There are also transcripts below every video in case your employees prefer to read the lessons. The transcripts have bold terms and phrases to emphasize important material they should know.
How It Helps
- Promotes professionalism: Employees who are trained in communication can enhance not only their reputations but that of the company.
- Increases skills: When using the lessons in this chapter, employees can learn about how different factors can impact communication, and they can adjust their techniques to make them more effective.
- Develops awareness: While working through this chapter, employees will be more aware of how they communicate with others.
By the end of this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Discuss how ethics impacts interpersonal communication
- Address the role of cultural competency and awareness in communication
- Understand how nonverbal communication can be viewed differently in other cultures
- Identify how emotional expression affects communication
1. Ethics in Interpersonal Communication
Ethics are important in all aspects of life, and communication is no exception. Explore the way in which ethics relate specifically to interpersonal communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Cultural Competency in Communication
The ability to communicate is pretty important to us. So better communication is even better! Explore how cultural competency can impact positive communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Practical Application: Assessing Cultural Competency in Communication
How do you know if you are effective when it comes to communicating across cultures? Learn some questions that you can use to assess cultural communication competency and some strategies to improve cross-cultural communication skills.
4. The Role of Culture in Nonverbal Communication
Nonverbal communication is a large part of most conversations, but gestures and other nonverbal cues can mean different things in different cultures. In this lesson, we'll examine the role of culture in nonverbal communication.
5. How Influences on Emotional Expression Impact Communication
We all have emotions, but how we deal with them is dependent on a variety of factors. In this lesson, explore various influences on emotional expression and see how that impacts communication. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communication Skills for Pharmacists course