About This Chapter
Influences on the Development of the English Language - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you can review and improve your understanding of how the English language developed and the effects of technology on literature and verbal communication. These lessons ensure that you are ready to:
- Detail historical influences on the English language
- Explain how the invention of the printing press changed the world
- Discuss the evolution of the computer
- Describe English derivatives from Latin and Greek
- Identify regional and dialectical variations of standard English
These lessons are mobile device compatible, so you can watch them when and where it's convenient. For an additional review of the material, read over the video transcripts. These written overviews not only help you reinforce your understanding of the material, but also help you study the key vocabulary of the chapter.
1. History of the English Language: Influences & Development
Ever wonder how English came to be the language it is today? This video lesson gives a brief account of how English has transformed during the last few thousand years of history.
2. How the Printing Press Changed the World
When you think of inventions that changed the world, you may think of farming tools or the wheel, or even the Internet. However, few can truly compare to the humble printing press.
3. History of Computers: Timeline & Evolution
Modern computing has a rich history. Learn about the earliest computing devices developed by humans, the first electronic computers and the development of modern computer components, such as microprocessors and the graphical user interface, in this video lesson.
4. Technological Revolutions: Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we explore a few of the technological innovations that have helped create the 21st-century world and will likely change our world throughout the century.
5. English Language Derivatives From Latin & Greek
This lesson will introduce you to how the knowledge of Latin and Greek roots, suffixes, and prefixes can be used to understanding the meaning of words in the English language of today that are derived from Latin and Greek.
6. Regional & Dialectical Variations of Standard English
The English language is complex, with multiple regional and dialectical variations. In this lesson, we examine the different variations of the English language in the United Kingdom and the United States.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Middle Level English (CEOE) (124): Practice & Study Guide course
- Language Acquisition & Development in Children
- Participating in Conversations & Group Discussions
- Preparing & Delivering Effective Presentations
- Analyzing & Evaluating Visual Images
- The Writing Process
- Using Technology to Teach Reading & Writing
- Essay Writing Skills
- Identifying Errors in Writing
- Expository Writing Techniques
- Writing Argumentative Essays
- Writing for Personal Expression
- Developing Student Vocabulary
- Teaching & Improving Reading Comprehension
- Strategies for Reading Expository Texts
- Strategies for Analyzing Persuasive Texts
- Strategies for Reading Fiction & Drama
- Overview of American Literature
- World Literature Overview
- Selecting Appropriate Methods of Instruction
- Teaching Special Populations
- OSAT Middle Level English (CEOE) (024) Flashcards