About This Chapter
Influences on the English Language - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons explore the definition of languages and how they evolve. You'll find out more about the history of English and how it has changed through the centuries. Our instructors will explain what influenced the English language's development. After completing these lessons, you should understand:
- What language is
- How languages develop
- Influences on the evolution of English
- Ways that technology and culture impact language development
Our lessons average about five minutes each, and you can watch them on electronic devices such as tablets or smartphones at convenient moments throughout your day. Multiple-choice lesson and chapter quizzes let you assess your knowledge. If you want to review a certain passage of the lesson, a clickable timeline makes it easy to jump back to just the right spot.
1. What Is Language?
Have you ever wondered how human language is constructed to form meaning? Why is language more complex than animal calls? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the basic units language and learn how meaning is formed.
2. History of the English Language: Influences & Development
Ever wonder how English came to be the language it is today? This video lesson gives a brief account of how English has transformed during the last few thousand years of history.
3. Impact of Technology & Culture on the English Language
Can a language evolve so dramatically that it becomes almost unrecognizable? This lesson discusses how technological and cultural shifts have shaped the English language over time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP English Literature: Help and Review course
- AP English - Literary Analysis Intro: Help and Review
- AP English - Interpreting Literature: Help and Review
- Rhetorical Devices in AP English: Help and Review
- Genres in Literature
- Types of Fiction
- Types of Nonfiction
- Analytical Writing Strategies
- Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts
- AP English - Prose: Help and Review
- AP English - Types of Poetry: Help and Review
- Literature in Old English & Middle English
- Literature of the English Renaissance
- Romantic Prose in British Literature
- English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- The Romantic Poetry Movement in English Literature
- Literature of the Turn of the Century
- Modernist Authors in English Literature
- Nonfiction Selections in English Literature
- The Oral Tradition
- AP English - American Literary Periods and Movements: Help and Review
- AP English - Examples of American Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- AP English - English Literary Periods and Movements: Help and Review
- AP English - Examples of English Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- Grammar Review in AP English: Help and Review
- AP English - Essay Basics - Types of Essay: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Conventions for AP English: Help & Review
- Beginning the Writing Process in AP English: Help and Review
- Writing & Structuring an Essay in AP English: Help and Review
- Writing Revision and Skill Development in AP English: Help and Review
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking
- About the AP English Literature Test