About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other technical writing work.
- Identify the informal technical reports concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Technical Writing Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about informal technical reports and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding progress, research, and incident reports or any other informal technical report topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English composition learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their informal technical reports unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in technical writing courses
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about informal technical reports simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live technical writing tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn to write informal reports on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Get an overview of informal report types.
- Explore progress reports, research/laboratory reports, and incident reports in depth.
- Discuss the role of ethics in writing informal reports.
1. Types of Informal Reports
Often, information needs to be communicated within a company or department. In this lesson, we'll examine informal reports, including informational, analytical, and progress reports, and the purpose and types of each.
2. How to Write Progress Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content
Progress reports can be important documents, both to communicate within an organization and to communicate with clients and others outside an organization. Watch this lesson to find out how to write a progress report.
3. How to Write Research & Laboratory Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content
One of the most common types of technical writing for those who work in scientific fields is the research report. In this lesson, we learn the parts of a research report, as well as why it is written in such a way.
4. How to Write Incident Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content
Incident reports may serve as vitally important business documentation in many industries. In this lesson, you'll learn the purpose, structure and content of a typical incident report. A short quiz follows.
5. Ethical Issues in Informal Report Writing
In the business world, informal reports are a common part of communication, but there are some ethical issues that should be kept in mind when writing them. In this lesson, we'll cover common ethical problems in informal report writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution course
- Technical Writing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of Prewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Documents: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Editing & Rewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Document Characteristics: Tutoring Solution
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Formal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Business Reports and Proposals: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Correspondence: Tutoring Solution
- Resumes & Cover Letters: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Instructions: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Manuals: Tutoring Solution
- How to Write Proposals: Tutoring Solution