About This Chapter
Informal Technical Reports - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Various kinds of reports can fall under the category of being considered an informal technical report. The engaging lessons clearly explain how such reports are written. Major terms used in the chapter's presentations show up in the practice quizzes so that you can confirm your familiarity. You'll get to learn about the following topics in the chapter:
- Different forms that informal technical reports can take
- How progress reports are structured
- Circumstances that call for developing an incident report
- Ethical considerations that concern writing informal reports
|Types of Informal Reports||Learn about the different kinds of written communication that can be informal reports.|
|How to Write Progress Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content||Discover how progress reports are written.|
|How to Write Research & Laboratory Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content||Become familiar with how to effectively write research as well as lab reports.|
|How to Write Incident Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content||Examine the structure of an incident report.|
|Ethical Issues in Informal Report Writing||Investigate the various ethical concerns that involve informal report writing.|
1. Types of Informal Reports
Often, information needs to be communicated within a company or department. In this lesson, we'll examine informal reports, including informational, analytical, and progress reports, and the purpose and types of each.
2. How to Write Progress Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content
Progress reports can be important documents, both to communicate within an organization and to communicate with clients and others outside an organization. Watch this lesson to find out how to write a progress report.
3. How to Write Research & Laboratory Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content
One of the most common types of technical writing for those who work in scientific fields is the research report. In this lesson, we learn the parts of a research report, as well as why it is written in such a way.
4. How to Write Incident Reports: Purpose, Structure & Content
Incident reports may serve as vitally important business documentation in many industries. In this lesson, you'll learn the purpose, structure and content of a typical incident report. A short quiz follows.
5. Ethical Issues in Informal Report Writing
In the business world, informal reports are a common part of communication, but there are some ethical issues that should be kept in mind when writing them. In this lesson, we'll cover common ethical problems in informal report writing.
6. Required Assignments Reminder
Sorry for the interruption to your course progress! We wanted to make sure you knew this course has a written assignment requirement in order to be completed. Read on to learn where to find these assignments and how to submit them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the English 305: Advanced Technical Writing course
- Basics of Technical Writing
- Prewriting for Technical Documents
- Writing Technical Documents
- Technical Editing & Rewriting
- Elements of Technical Documents
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing
- Formal Technical Reports
- Business Reports and Proposals
- Technical Correspondence
- Technical Writing in Business Correspondence
- Technical Resumes & Cover Letters
- Technical Instructions
- Writing Technical Manuals
- How to Write Proposals
- Required Assignments for English 305
- Studying for English 305