About This Chapter
Informatics & Information Systems in Healthcare - Chapter Summary
Work through this convenient online chapter at your own pace to review important information pertaining to informatics and information systems in healthcare. Using a simplified and engaging teaching style, our instructors explain the purpose of nursing informatics, the importance of hospital information systems, different types of point-of-care technologies and more. Take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully understand the terms and concepts you study. The chapter is available at any time, and you can use any computer or mobile device to access it. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Understand the uses of nursing informatics in healthcare
- Identify popular online information and databases for nursing
- Describe the purpose of hospital information systems
- Evaluate healthcare administration informatics and nursing systems
- Recognize types of point-of-care technologies that are used in healthcare
- Define information systems
- Explain the characteristics of data quality in healthcare
1. Nursing Informatics in Healthcare
This lesson will describe new improvements in technology currently being used in hospitals nationwide. Patient care and technology are combining to give the nurse information where it is needed and when it is needed.
2. Popular Databases & Online Information for Nursing
The internet places a world of information at your fingertips, but the breadth of knowledge can be overwhelming. In this lesson, we'll explore the most used databases and websites for nursing information.
3. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are an integral part of businesses. But what, exactly, is an information system? In this lesson, we'll define information systems and then examine the three main components of an information system.
4. Hospital Information Systems
This lesson describes what a hospital management system is and its purpose. It also explains the Friedman and Martin functional model for hospital information systems and describes its components.
5. Data Quality in Healthcare
Data quality in healthcare consists of several characteristics, including accuracy, consistency, and relevancy. In this lesson, we'll see how health information technology encourages data quality by reducing redundancy, decreasing medical errors, and enhancing health outcomes.
6. Nursing Systems & Health Administration Informatics
This lesson describes how health administrators choose technology systems, support successful implementation, and oversee system operation on a day-to-day basis. You'll also learn how administrators should evaluate systems to determine their worth.
7. Point of Care Technology in Healthcare
This lesson explores the types and uses of point of care technologies in healthcare and discusses the effect of point of care technology on quality of patient care.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 301: Nursing Informatics course
- Computer Hardware for Nursing Informatics
- Basic Computer Software for Nursing Informatics
- Online Connectivity & Security for Nursing Informatics
- Data Standards in Healthcare
- Patient-Centered Information Technology
- Nursing & Educational Informatics
- Informatics Literacy & Challenges in Nursing
- The Future of Nursing Informatics
- Required Assignments for Nursing 301
- Studying for Nursing 301