About This Chapter
Informatics Literacy & Challenges in Nursing - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive nursing chapter covers topics related to informatics literacy and challenges in the field. Inside, you'll find a collection of simple and engaging lessons that examine specialized information systems, the application of information literacy in nursing, the role of informatics in healthcare and more. The chapter can be completed whenever you have free time in your schedule, and you can use any computer or mobile device to study. The chapter also comes with a short self-assessment quizzes to help you remember important terms and concepts from each lesson. Reviewing this chapter will help you:
- Evaluate the importance of information literacy in nursing
- Understand how informatics affects evidence, research and health industry challenges
- Identify challenges regarding the implementation of health informatics
- Describe specialized information systems and group decision support systems
- Explain how artificial intelligence and expert systems can solve complex problems
1. Information Literacy in Nursing
We live in a complex age of information and misinformation. It is crucial that health care professionals, including nurses, be knowledgeable about how to obtain truly useful sources of information. This lesson is about information literacy in nursing.
2. What Are Specialized Information Systems? - Decision Support Systems for Business
Specialized information systems have been developed to support decision making in an increasingly complex world. Learn about some of the different types of specialized information systems.
3. Group Decision Support Systems (GDSS): Improving the Group-Decision-Making Environment
A Group Decision Support System, or GDSS, consists of interactive software that allows for making decisions by a group of participants. Learn about some of the tools used in a GDSS.
4. Using Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Expert Systems to Solve Complex Problems
Artificial intelligence is used to develop computer systems that demonstrate characteristics of intelligent behavior. Expert systems make it possible for a novice to perform at the level of an expert in very specific situations. Learn more about both of these systems in this lesson.
5. Impact of Informatics on Evidence & Research
Informatics is the product of several sciences, and is used in health care to promote better care outcomes. Read this lesson to learn about the huge impact informatics has on evidence and research.
6. Impact of Informatics on Health Industry Challenges
Healthcare informatics has changed the face of the healthcare delivery system nationwide. You will be able to identify the challenges and some of the solutions for those challenges through this lesson.
7. Challenges in Implementing Health Informatics
Implementing healthcare informatics into patient care areas comes with challenges and opportunities to grow. This lesson will describe challenges healthcare informatics can encounter and possible solutions to some of those challenges.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 301: Nursing Informatics course
- Informatics & Information Systems in Healthcare
- Computer Hardware for Nursing Informatics
- Basic Computer Software for Nursing Informatics
- Online Connectivity & Security for Nursing Informatics
- Data Standards in Healthcare
- Patient-Centered Information Technology
- Nursing & Educational Informatics
- The Future of Nursing Informatics
- Required Assignments for Nursing 301
- Studying for Nursing 301