About This Chapter
Information & Computer Technology - Chapter Summary
This collection of lessons covers important terms and concepts related to information and computer technology. Follow along with our expert instructors to study a variety of IT and computer topics, such as information system abbreviations, computer parts and functions, the Internet and email. After studying these lessons, you should be able to:
- Understand the purpose and function of information systems
- Recognize common IT terms and abbreviations
- Evaluate the functions of various computer system parts
- Define the components of the Internet
- Analyze the structure of business emails
We've included self-assessment quizzes following each lesson to help evaluate your understanding of essential computer and information technology concepts. Your course Dashboard allows you to quickly navigate to lesson topics. The chapter can be accessed on any Internet-connected device, which allows you to study at home, at school or when you're on-the-go.
1. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are an integral part of businesses. But what, exactly, is an information system? In this lesson, we'll define information systems and then examine the three main components of an information system.
2. Information Technology: Abbreviations & Terminology
Help! I have a 404 Error, and it's most likely a DNS attack! Call the SAAS Resource right away! No field of study is immune from acronyms and terminology and IT is a big offender. In this lesson we'll cover an array of IT terms and their meaning.
3. Computer System Components: Computer Parts & Functions
Are you ready to buy a computer? Let's take a trip through the components of a computer for some advice. We'll learn about the motherboard, memory, storage, connectivity and peripherals.
4. What is the Internet? - Definition & Explanation
If someone asked you about the Internet would you tell them that it is the World Wide Web? This isn't really true, and you will learn why in this lesson as we look at the parts that make up the Internet.
5. Purpose, Content & Structure of Emails
Emails are perhaps the most ubiquitous form of business communication today. In this lesson, you'll learn about the purpose, content, and structure of emails in a business context. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UGC NET General Paper on Teaching & Research Aptitude: Exam Prep course
- Learning Styles & Effective Teaching
- Student Evaluation Systems
- Research Methodologies for Educators
- Reading Passage Construction & Comprehension
- Communication & Media in the Classroom
- Reasoning, Analogies & Logic
- Interpretation of Data
- People & the Environment
- Higher Education & Governance in India
- UGC NET General Paper on Teaching & Research Aptitude Flashcards