About This Chapter
Information Security Basics: Chapter Summary
In today's world of technology, it's important to have a basic understanding of how information is protected. This collection of lessons will show the essentials of information security, including its history, importance and basic principles. You'll learn about important information security laws and regulations, as well as information security policy, models, metrics and plans.
Our lessons are designed to efficiently break down the most important information security concepts by using highlighted definitions and illustrative examples. Each lesson contains a short self-assessment quiz to help you make sure you fully understand the information security topics you learn about.
This chapter covers several topics, including:
- Basic principles, best practices, history and importance of information security
- Types, framework and best practices of information security policy
- Information security management systems
- Examples of information security plans
- The architecture and governance of information security models
- Information security metrics
- Laws and regulations related to information security
- The UK Data Protection Act of 1998 and the Federal Information Security Management Act
1. Information Security: Basic Principles
This lesson discusses the four basic principles of information security and how they safeguard valuable information. Understanding these building blocks is essential to knowing how to protect your digital information.
2. What is Information Security? - Definition & Best Practices
In this lesson, you'll learn about the basic principles of information security and the best practices for keeping confidential information in your organization where it belongs.
3. Types of Information Security
In this lesson, we will discuss information security and cover the eight different types of security. The arrangement of information security into these different types aligns with one of the most common information security certifications, CISSP.
4. Importance of Information Security
Information security (InfoSec) is the practice of protecting information while still providing access to those who need it. Learn about the three principles that are the foundation of good InfoSec.
5. History of Information Security
Information security goes way back - all the way back to the Second World War and even classical times! Here, we'll travel through the history of information security from ancient methods of hiding communications to the famous Enigma machine and modern cryptography.
6. What is an Information Security Policy? - Definition & Types
In this lesson, you'll learn what an information security policy is and the different shapes that information security policies can take. You'll see how the different types of policies can interact.
7. Information Security Management Systems
Securing information is extremely important in today's day and age. In this lesson, we'll take a look at information security, what it is, what information security management is, and the systems that enforce it.
8. Information Security Policy & Prodecure Examples
Protection of information and data in an organization is one of the most important and key requirements in ensuring business continuity. In this lesson, we will be looking at information security policies and procedures.
9. Information Security Policy: Framework & Best Practices
In this lesson, we will be looking at what information security policy is all about and frameworks which can be used in creating the policies in accordance with best practices.
10. Information Security Plan: Examples & Incident Response
Protecting information is important these days. In this lesson, we'll take a look at information security, what it is, an example information security plan, and how incident response is related.
11. Information Security Models: Architecture & Governance
The information we use in the course of a day is important, and so is securing that information. In this lesson, we'll take a look at information security, and how models, architecture, and governance are related.
12. Information Security Metrics: Examples & Overview
Information security metrics is a powerful measurement system that helps us justify or refute company expenditure. In this lesson, we'll see what it is, and examine two kinds of metrics: quantitative and qualitative.
13. Information Security Laws & Regulations
The advancement of technology and the internet has made information more accessible than ever before. This has broadened the threats to information security. In this lesson, we will examine some of the laws and regulations that govern the collection transmission and storage of data, and how businesses can become compliant.
14. What is The Federal Information Security Management Act?
Security breaches do not occur only at a personal level but at a national level as well. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Federal Information Security Management Act, which determines what each federal agency must do to reduce the risk of a security breach.
15. The UK Data Protection Act of 1998: Summary & Principles
The UK Data Protection Act of 1998 plays an important role in determining how companies and other organizations can use the data that they collect on individuals who access their services.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.