About This Chapter
Information Security Overview - Chapter Summary
For an overview of basic information security topics, work through this series of simple computer science lessons. The chapter offers you a quick and effective way to learn about information security best practices, types, threats and policies. You'll also take a look at incident responses for information security policy procedures. To make sure you fully understand these fundamental information security topics, we encourage you to take the chapter's lesson quizzes and comprehensive exam. The chapter is available online at any time that fits your schedule, and our subject-matter experts are happy to answer any questions you may have about information security. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize the best practices for information security
- Compare types of information security
- Explain why information security is important
- Identify a variety of information security management systems
- Define the components of information security threats
- Describe the framework of security policy
- Evaluate information security policy procedures, best practices and incident responses
1. What is Information Security? - Definition & Best Practices
In this lesson, you'll learn about the basic principles of information security and the best practices for keeping confidential information in your organization where it belongs.
2. Types of Information Security
In this lesson, we will discuss information security and cover the eight different types of security. The arrangement of information security into these different types aligns with one of the most common information security certifications, CISSP.
3. Importance of Information Security
Information security (InfoSec) is the practice of protecting information while still providing access to those who need it. Learn about the three principles that are the foundation of good InfoSec.
4. Information Security Management Systems
Securing information is extremely important in today's day and age. In this lesson, we'll take a look at information security, what it is, what information security management is, and the systems that enforce it.
5. Definition of Threat in Information Security
Information security is a major topic in the news these days. After all, information plays a role in almost everything we do. In this lesson, we'll take a look at what it is, threats, and why they are important.
6. What Is a Security Policy? - Definition, Examples & Framework
In the IT world, we protect an organization by having a strong, well-defined security policy. In this lesson, we'll examine how to create an effective policy that protects assets, employees, and data.
7. Information Security Policy & Procedure Examples
Protection of information and data in an organization is one of the most important and key requirements in ensuring business continuity. In this lesson, we will be looking at information security policies and procedures.
8. Information Security Policy: Framework & Best Practices
In this lesson, we will be looking at what information security policy is all about and frameworks which can be used in creating the policies in accordance with best practices.
9. Information Security Plan: Examples & Incident Response
Protecting information is important these days. In this lesson, we'll take a look at information security, what it is, an example information security plan, and how incident response is related.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.