About This Chapter
Information Systems Hardware - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this information systems chapter to examine several types of computer hardware. The chapter's bite-sized lessons break down the components of grid, parallel and distributed computing, as well as the functions of keyboards, mice, monitors, printers, speakers and more. We've made the chapter accessible at any time of day or night so you can study at any time that fits your schedule. Be sure to take the included self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam. You can also reach out to our expert information systems instructors if you have any questions about these hardware concepts. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Understand the functions of arithmetic logic units
- Evaluate computer input and output devices
- Explain several types of computer systems
- Point out the architecture of multiprocessing
- Define distributed and parallel computing
- Identify the components of grid computing
- Compare external and internal storage devices
1. Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU): Definition, Design & Function
An arithmetic logic unit (ALU) represents the fundamental building block of the central processing unit of a computer. An ALU is a digital circuit used to perform arithmetic and logic operations.
2. Computer Input Devices: Keyboards, Mice, Audio & Video
What input devices do you use on a daily basis? We'll take a look at the common keyboard and mouse devices as well as other methods of input like audio and video.
3. Computer Output Devices: Monitors, Speakers, & Printers
So you've entered information into your computer. How do you get it back out? Here's a look at output devices such as monitors, speakers, printers and eBooks.
4. Computer System Types: Mobile, Stationary & Multi-User
There are computers you can hold in your hand, computers that fill up a room, and variations in between. In this lesson, we'll discuss various types such mobile, stationary and multi-user computers and examine the use and characteristics of each.
5. What Is Multiprocessing? - Definition, Architecture & Examples
Multiprocessing is the capability of a computer to multitask, or execute more than one program or process at the same time. In this lesson, we will learn about computers and their multiprocessing abilities.
6. What is Distributed Computing? - Principles, Environments & Applications
Some computing tasks require the power of multiple computers. Learn how distributed computing coordinates tasks performed on multiple computers at the same time.
7. What is Parallel Computing? - Performance & Examples
In this lesson, we'll take a look at parallel computing. We will learn what this means, its main performance characteristic, and some common examples of its use.
8. Grid Computing: Definition, Components & Examples
In this lesson, we'll define Grid Computing, explore its major components, and give some examples of its use. At the end, you should have a good understanding of this important technique.
9. External and Internal Storage Devices: Optical, Magnetic & Semiconductor Storage
Let's explore the capacity of internal and external storage devices. We'll learn how optical, magnetic and semiconductor storage works, as well as identify some examples of storage devices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Business Information Systems: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Business Information Systems
- Computer-Based Information System Components
- Information Systems Application & Impact
- Information Systems Software Programs
- Information Systems Software Applications
- Data Management in Information Systems
- Networking & Systems Technology
- Internet, Intranet, & Extranet
- Virtualization for Business
- Electronic & Mobile Commerce
- Enterprise Systems for Business
- Decision Making & Specialized Information Systems
- Systems Development Components & Lifecycle
- Personal & Social Impact of Computers
- UExcel Business Information Systems Flashcards