About This Chapter
Information Systems in Business - Chapter Summary
Feel confident that you have a quality understanding of information systems in business by reviewing this chapter's entertaining videos. Lessons examine the relationship between business and technology. They also take a close look at how information systems help businesses operate efficiently. Exploring this chapter will enable you to do the following:
- List the characteristics of business technology
- Explain how the Internet impacts business operations and how technology helps businesses succeed
- Define e-business enhanced and e-business enabled organizations
- Provide the meaning of an information system, and identify its components and resources
- Pinpoint and describe computer system components
- Discuss characteristics of computer memory and processing devices
- Describe external, internal, computer input and computer output devices
- Share your knowledge of the use of ASCII and Unicode to represent characters in binary code
Watch videos from home or anywhere you can access an Internet connection. If you want a simple review of key topics without watching lessons in their entirety, use clickable timelines that allow you to skip through the videos. Review full transcripts of the lessons to access vocabulary words that can deepen your information systems in business knowledge. Take the short quiz with each lesson to assess your understanding of concepts covered. If you answer a question incorrectly, click the link next to the answer to revisit the related portion of the video lesson.
1. What is Business Technology? - Characteristics & Development
Technology is the essence of change in business and society. In this lesson, you'll learn about technology, its characteristics, its historical phases and how innovation is fueled today.
2. The Internet's Impact on Business Operations & Interactions
In this lesson, you will learn how the Internet and other technological innovations have changed the way organizations operate and interact with their stakeholders.
3. How Technology Helps Achieve Business Success
Technology can help aid in the success of a business and has a winner-take-most-market reality for those with the best and most efficient technologies. In this lesson, you will learn the key ways technology helps businesses become leaders in their market.
4. E-Business Enhanced and E-Business Enabled Organizations
Businesses use the Internet in different ways. Some use it as a part of their business, while some use it to run the entire business. In this lesson, we will discuss the differences between e-business enhanced and e-business enabled businesses.
5. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are an integral part of businesses. But what, exactly, is an information system? In this lesson, we'll define information systems and then examine the three main components of an information system.
6. Input, Processing, Output & Feedback: Information System Components
What are the components that really make an information system work? In this lesson, we'll explore IPOS (input, process, output and storage) and how this system works.
7. Information Systems Resources: Networks, Hardware, Software, Data & People
What are the resources an information system needs? Discover how networks, hardware, software, data and people work together to create usable information.
8. Computer System Components: Computer Parts & Functions
Are you ready to buy a computer? Let's take a trip through the components of a computer for some advice. We'll learn about the motherboard, memory, storage, connectivity and peripherals.
9. Computer Memory and Processing Devices: Functions & Characteristics
Have you ever wondered how your computer operates - specifically, where it stores all the information it needs to run? This lesson will answer that question by explaining the general functions of the central processing unit (CPU), random-access memory (RAM) and read-only memory (ROM).
10. External and Internal Storage Devices: Optical, Magnetic & Semiconductor Storage
Let's explore the capacity of internal and external storage devices. We'll learn how optical, magnetic and semiconductor storage works, as well as identify some examples of storage devices.
11. Computer Input Devices: Keyboards, Mice, Audio & Video
What input devices do you use on a daily basis? We'll take a look at the common keyboard and mouse devices as well as other methods of input like audio and video.
12. Computer Output Devices: Monitors, Speakers, & Printers
So you've entered information into your computer. How do you get it back out? Here's a look at output devices such as monitors, speakers, printers and eBooks.
13. ASCII and Unicode to Represent Characters in Binary Code
A computer can think at speeds of over a billion machine cycles per second. However, no spoken language is a computer's native tongue. Learn how a computer translates analog to digital signals in this lesson.
14. Systems Security: Firewalls, Encryption, Passwords & Biometrics
Computer systems face a number of security threats. Learn about different approaches to system security, including firewalls, data encryption, passwords and biometrics.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Business Education (309): Practice & Study Guide course
- Organizational Management in Business
- Human Resource Management in Business
- Business Law & Ethics
- Taxation for Corporations
- Business Accounting Overview
- Personal Finance & Consumer Economics
- Consumer Credit
- Personal Insurance Coverage
- Computation & Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Microeconomics Concepts & Laws
- Microeconomics Fundamentals for Business
- Macroeconomics Principles for Business
- International Business & Trade
- Principles of Marketing & Market Research
- Fundamentals of E-commerce
- Entrepreneurship & Business Plans
- Business Communication Fundamentals
- Business Software
- Career Development in Business
- NES Business Education Flashcards