About This Chapter
Inorganic Chemistry & Agriculture - Chapter Summary
This chapter explores the functions, effects and uses of sodium in plants, as well as the structure and specific formula of potassium sulfate. You can also study the nitrogen cycle that affects all organisms, including animals, plants and humans, and why it is essential. Additional topics include the processes used to turn unusable nitrogen into a form that can be used by plants and humans. Once you review these lessons, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain how calcium affects plants
- Describe the functions of iron phosphate and iron sulfate
- Outline some of the common aluminum compounds found in plants
- Detail why phosphorus is so important for plant growth
Our short, easy-to-understand video and text lessons can help you learn even the most challenging scientific topics, and our instructors are available to answer your questions if you struggle with any of the topics. You can study at any time that's convenient for you with these flexible, mobile-friendly learning tools that are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And, if you'd prefer to review the study guides offline, use the printable lesson transcripts.
1. Sodium Compounds: Properties & Plant Use
This lesson will discuss some compounds of sodium and their properties and uses. Sodium compounds will include oxides, hydroxides, halides, hydrides, sulphides, nitrites, nitrates and carbonates.
2. What is Potassium Sulfate? - Structure, Uses & Formula
What does a fertilizer and a muzzle flash have in common? You'll find out in this lesson as you learn about the structure, formula, and various uses of potassium sulfate.
3. Calcium Compounds: Properties & Plant Use
Calcium is an alkaline metal and forms bonds with several monatomic ions and polyatomic ions. In this lesson, we will focus on four calcium compounds and how their properties affect plants.
4. Iron Compounds: Properties & Plant Use
Iron is found all around us and is necessary for life. In this lesson we will look at a few compounds that iron forms, and particularly examine how iron is used in plants.
5. Aluminum Compounds: Properties & Plant Use
Aluminum is a cation with a charge of 3+. It can form compounds with several different molecules that can be soluble or insoluble in water. Too high of levels of aluminum can be toxic to plants.
6. The Nitrogen Cycle: Definition, Facts & Steps
Oh the places we'll go on our nitrogen cycle tour! Nitrogen is an element that cycles through you, me, plants, and other organisms. This lesson will not only follow nitrogen on this cycle, but will also share some nitrogen facts!
7. Nitrogen Fixation: Significance to Plants and Humans
Almost 80% of our atmosphere is nitrogen, but we can't use it. We will look at how this unusable nitrogen is converted into a form we can use and why nitrogen is important to plants and humans.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 3: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Measurement & Instruments
- Principles of Physics
- Newton's Laws of Motion in Physics
- Power, Energy & Heat
- Weather & Weather Forecasting
- Principles of Chemistry
- Atomic Theory & Structure
- Ionic Theory & Chemical Reactions
- Overview of Inorganic Chemistry
- Properties & Nomenclature for Organic Compounds
- Structures & Formulas of Organic Compounds
- Structures & Formulas of Alcohols
- Structures & Formulas of Acids
- Using Data & Statistics
- Principles of Agronomy
- The Plant, Fungi, & Bacteria Kingdoms
- Plant Cell Morphology
- Plant Anatomy & Morphology
- Plant Germination & Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Biology
- UPSEE Paper 3 Flashcards