About This Chapter
Installing Windows Active Directory Domain Services - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our experienced instructors explain how to install Windows active directory domain services. Use any mobile device or computer to study topics including the function of a domain controller and forests in Windows server active directory. These lessons are self-paced so you can move as quickly or as slowly as you need in order to achieve your goals. The comprehensive test at the end of the chapter is a handy way to make sure you're ready to move on. Once you finish these lessons, you should be able to:
- Define domain controller and share its function
- Outline the purpose of forests in Windows server active directory
- Explain the installation and processes associated with the AD domain services role in Windows server 2016
- Detail the installation of AD domain services on a server core in Windows server 2016
- Use IaaS to install AD domain services in Azure
1. What is a Domain Controller? - Definition & Function
In today's digital world, everything has a password. You need a password to access your computer and shared resources at work. In this lesson, we'll learn about managing passwords in a networked environment through the use of domain controllers.
2. Forests in Windows Server Active Directory: Definition & Purpose
In this lesson, you will learn about forests in relation to Windows Active Directory. You will also learn about forest design models and functional levels.
3. AD Domain Services Role in Windows Server 2016: Installation & Processes
This lesson involves configuring a basic Active Directory installation on Windows Server 2016 step-by-step, explaining domain controllers and the creation of a new domain architecture on a Windows server.
4. AD Domain Services Role in Windows Server 2016: Configuring System Replication & Redundancy
This lesson explains advanced Active Directory configuration and processes, including installing secondary domain controllers, and using DFS-R to provide file services in a domain. This lesson also explains the steps to migrate an old domain to DFS-R, as well as creating child domains for administrative or other purposes.
5. Installing AD Domain Services on a Server Core in Windows Server 2016
This lesson outlines how to configure Active Directory Domain Services on the Server Core edition of Windows Server 2016. It also explains how to use the Install From Media feature to instantly bring new domain controllers into operation, and finally describes recommended procedures for upgrading ADDS to newer versions of Windows Server.
6. Windows Server 2016: Installing AD Domain Services in Azure Using IaaS
In this lesson, you will learn about how to install Active Directory Domain Services in Azure using IaaS, how to remove a domain controller and configure the global catalog as well as the steps to troubleshoot DNS registration failure.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 322: Windows Server Configuration course
- Windows Server 2016 Installation & Configuration
- Configuring Storage & Replication in Windows Server 2016
- File & Share Access in Windows Server 2016
- Installing & Configuring Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016
- Creating & Managing Active Directory Users & Computers in Windows Server 2016
- Active Directory Groups & Organizational Units in Windows Server 2016
- Configuring Network Services with IPv4 & IPv6 in Windows Server 2016
- DHCP & DNS Configuration & Deployment in Windows Server 2016
- Ensuring High Availability in Windows Server 2016 Installations
- Clustering in Windows Server 2016
- Windows Containers in Windows Server 2016
- Security Policies, Group Policies & User Account Control in Windows Server 2016
- Security Policies, Application Restrictions & Windows Firewall in Windows 2016
- Maintaining & Monitoring Windows Server 2016