About This Chapter
Instructional Strategies for Different Types of Writing - Chapter Summary
Improving your understanding of instructional strategies for different types of writing is simple using the fun lessons in this self-paced chapter. Brush up on your knowledge of expository writing, argumentative essays, strategies for teaching research skills and more. After completing this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Share tips for writing an opinion essay
- Define and describe the structure of an informative essay
- Provide the definition and a description of expository writing
- List types of narrative techniques in writing
- Describe the format of an argumentative essay
- Identify and discuss strategies for teaching research skills
Study the lessons in this chapter whenever and wherever your schedule permits, thanks to 24/7 access via any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. If you need to revisit specific topics or want to submit questions to our experts, you can do so with ease via our Dashboard. Multiple-choice quizzes enable you to check your comprehension of each lesson you study. The practice exam ensures you have a firm understanding of the entire chapter.
1. How to Write an Opinion Essay
Writing an opinion essay doesn't have to be a daunting experience. In this lesson you'll learn to follow a few steps to simplify the whole process and remove the complexity of writing opinion essays.
2. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
3. What is Expository Writing? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in identifying and understanding the major components of expository writing. Learn more about expository writing and see some common examples. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Narrative Techniques in Writing: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine various types of narrative techniques in writing, as well as examples of the literary techniques relevant to style, plot, and perspective/point of view.
5. Argumentative Essay: Definition, Format & Examples
Argumentative essays are kind of like superpowers: they allow you to get what you want using the superpower of persuasion. View this lesson and learn how to channel persuasion to write a good essay.
6. Strategies for Teaching Research Skills
In this lesson, we'll explain the importance of research. You'll learn three popular research methods and how to validate information. We'll also explain how to minimize plagiarism and show students how to organize and synthesize information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) (197-200, 305): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Literacy
- Language Features & Acquisition
- Selecting Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Developing Emergent Literacy Skills
- Literacy Assessment & Differentiation
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding & Fluency Teaching Strategies
- Language & Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- Reading Comprehension Instructional Strategies
- Analyzing Literary & Informational Texts
- Instructional Strategies for Literary & Text Analysis
- English Grammar Writing Conventions
- Writing Instruction & Feedback
- Strategies for Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Teaching Counting, Cardinality, Numbers & Operations
- Fraction Operations
- Teaching Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Overview of Concepts in Algebra
- Principles of Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Properties & Operations of Functions
- Geometry Concepts
- Data Distribution & Graphs
- Permutation & Combination
- Interpreting Statistical & Probability Data
- Mathematical Development & Curriculum
- Measurement & Data
- Scientific Models & Relationships
- Scientific Inquiry & Lab Safety
- Evaluating Scientific Information
- Fundamental Concepts of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science
- Overview of Government & Citizenship
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Overview of Physical Education
- Human Body Systems & Fitness
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- Illinois Learning Standards
- ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) Flashcards