About This Chapter
Instructional Strategies for ELL Classrooms - Chapter Summary
Our expert instructors present instructional strategies for English language learner classrooms in this informative and easy-to-understand chapter. As you work through these lessons, you'll study the importance of standards-based education, ESL and Common Core standards and language objectives for ESL students. You should be able to do the following after you complete this chapter:
- Describe authentic English language and literacy tasks and activities for ELL students
- Integrate listening, reading, writing and speaking into ELL instruction
- Apply strategies for teaching ELL students with interrupted formal education
- Implement student-centered learning in the ELL classroom
- Detail collaborative and cooperative learning in the classroom
- Discuss scaffolding instruction for English language learners
- Explain differentiated instruction as it can be used for ELL students
- Use strategies and activities to check for understanding
In addition to the lessons, the chapter offers short quizzes and a broader chapter exam to test your knowledge. The Dashboard provides a helpful way to submit your questions to our instructors and monitor your progress as you move through the chapter. Feel free to work at your own pace as quickly or as slowly as needed.
1. Standard-Based Education: Definition & Importance
A standards-based approach to education is growing increasingly popular in the United States. In this lesson, we'll explore what standards-based education is, how it differs from standards-referenced education, and why it's important.
2. Common Core Standards & ESL
How do the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) affect students in English as a Second Language (ESL) classrooms? This lesson answers this question and overviews programs and supports for ESL teachers to help their ESL students meet the CCSS.
3. Language Objectives for ESL Students
Need a refresher on some standard level-based language objectives for ESL students? This lesson provides level-based objectives that may be adapted to your own unique teaching style, school requirements, and student needs.
4. Authentic English Language & Literacy Activities & Tasks for ELL Students
As an ELL teacher, you often want to give your students activities and tasks that encourage them to use language as they would in real life settings. This lesson gives you a guide to some fun activities based on authentic language sources.
5. Integrating Speaking, Listening, Reading & Writing Into ELL Instruction
There are many components to consider when teaching English language learners (ELLs). In this lesson, you will learn strategies for incorporating speaking, listening, reading, and writing into ELL instruction.
6. Strategies for Teaching ELL Students with Interrupted Formal Education
You probably have a few students in your ELL class who have not had continuity in their education due to different factors. This lesson provides basic guidelines for teaching these students.
7. Student-Centered Learning in ELL Classrooms
Crafting an appropriate yet challenging classroom environment can be daunting, but it is possible. This lesson outlines strategies teachers can use to create a student-centered learning environment in English Language Learner (ELL) classrooms.
8. Cooperative and Collaborative Learning in the Classroom
It's extremely common for teachers to require students to work in groups. However, certain types of groups and activities are preferred over others. In this lesson, we define cooperative learning and discuss its advantages in the classroom. We also define collaborative learning and explain how it is different than cooperative learning.
9. Scaffolding Instruction for English Language Learners
The number of English language learners (ELLs) in the classroom is on the rise, and teachers must have strategies for teaching these students. This lesson will highlight ways in which to scaffold instruction for ELLs to help them become successful in the classroom.
10. Differentiated Instruction for ELL Students
In this lesson, you will learn strategies for differentiating your instruction for English Language Learners in the areas of writing, reading, speaking, and listening.
11. Check for Understanding: Strategies and Activities
This lesson will highlight ways in which teachers can make sure students understand what is being taught, a process known as assessment. A short quiz will follow that will test your understanding - an assessment in action!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE ESOL K-12 (047): Practice & Study Guide course
- Cultural Elements & Adaptation
- How Cultural Differences Impact Students
- Promoting Multicultural Sensitivity & Diversity in the Classroom
- Elements of Language
- Teaching Components of Language for ELL
- Second Language Acquisition & Development
- Language Functions, Skills & Proficiency
- Second Language Literacy Development
- Literacy & Language Research
- Models of ELL Instruction
- ESOL Instructional Approaches
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Writing Skills Instruction
- Selecting & Adapting Instructional Materials for ELL Students
- Technology in ELL Instruction
- ELL Rights & Court Cases in Florida
- ELL Assessment Issues
- ELL Learners with Exceptionalities
- Language Proficiency Assessments in Florida
- Classroom-Based Assessments of ELL Students
- Collaboration & Advocacy for ELL
- Professional Development Organizations & Resources for ESOL Teachers
- FTCE ESOL K-12 Flashcards