About This Chapter
Instructional Strategies with Assistive Technology - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will review different types of assistive technology and ways these technologies can be used in the classroom to improve the learning experience of students with special needs. You will learn curriculum planning methods and instructional approaches for using assistive technology when teaching specific subjects and even which technologies can be used at home and in other settings. Among the things you can expect to find addressed in this chapter include:
- The types of assistive technology available and its uses in the classroom
- Modifying the curriculum to meet the diverse needs of students
- Utilizing assistive technologies in helping students learn math, reading and writing concepts
- Which devices and adaptations can be employed to help improve students' lives not only at school but at home and other environments
Lessons are created by experienced professionals who present the material in an easy and engaging manner. You will have the opportunity to check what you have learned and retained from each lesson by completing self-assessment quizzes and what you have taken away from this chapter with an overall final exam.
How It Helps
- Offers effective strategies: Find out effective ways you can instruct students in specific subject areas using appropriate assistive technologies.
- Supports easy integration of assistive technology: Learn how to introduce assistive technology in the classroom with minimal curriculum modifications.
- Builds student confidence and success: Use assistive technology devices and programs to increase your students' ability to better develop basic academic skills and succeed in the classroom.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Understand the various types of assistive technology available
- Create effective classroom activities using assistive technology
- Apply curriculum planning techniques that successfully integrate assistive technology with current lesson plans
- Improve the development of math, reading and writing skills of students with disabilities
- Discuss occupational therapy devices and technologies with parents to further help students with disabilities both in and outside of the classroom
1. Assistive Technology in the Classroom: Types & Uses
Students with disabilities benefit from using assistive technology. In this lesson, you will learn why assistive technology is used and the different types of assistive technology that are available.
2. Assistive Technology for Reading in the Classroom
Children of all ages may struggle with reading skills in the classroom, but various forms of assistive technology can both aid in learning and also increase motivation and confidence.
3. Assistive Technology for Writing in the Classroom
This lesson looks at assistive technology for writing in the classroom that is worth writing about. Explore assistive technology for students needing support for writing composition, fine motor handwriting skills, and/or other areas of need.
4. Classroom Assistive Technology for Math
Lack of availability or cost alone cannot be used as an excuse for denying an assistive technology device to a student. This lesson will expand on classroom assistive technology for math and provide suggestions that can be implemented tomorrow.
5. Occupational Therapy Assistive Technology
Assistive technology for occupational therapy purposes provides more autonomous living for persons with disabilities at home, school, work, and in the community. Find out about some specific devices and adaptations by reading on.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Assistive Technology in Education course