About This Chapter
Interactions of Energy and Matter - Chapter Summary
Included in this chapter are interactive, online video and text lessons that will teach you about the ways in which matter and energy interact. Each lesson covers a different topic on matter and energy that you will need to understand in order to have a comprehensive knowledge of these fundamental science topics.
Our lesson instructors provide you with clear examples of these sometimes challenging concepts, so you will have a much easier time understanding them. Topics you will learn about include:
- Energy transfer
- Magnetic force, poles and dipoles
- Speed of sound
- Interactions between light and matter
If you wish to jump to the most important points in the video lessons, you can simply use our convenient timeline tags. The chapter also offers you transcripts of the different videos, should you wish to read a hard copy of each lesson when studying these topics. Finally, use your personal Dashboard to see how much progress you have made as you complete the lessons.
1. Energy Transfer: Examples & Overview
Learn about energy and how the sun provides the energy needed to sustain life on Earth. Discover energy transfer and how energy is neither created nor destroyed, but moves from one place to another or changes from one form to another.
2. What Is Electricity? - Definition & Concept
Learn the history of electricity, from Ben Franklin's kite experiment to laptop batteries. Explore the many different ways electricity is measured, generated, and stored.
3. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
4. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
5. How Light & Matter Interact
This lesson will go over the fundamental basic of how light and matter interact with one another. You'll learn about photons, excited atoms, binding energy, and energy levels.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards