About This Chapter
International Business Leadership - Chapter Summary
In this engaging chapter, you'll review business leadership strategies specifically for international organizations. You can see an overview of global leadership as well as review the concept of a global mindset in business and what a global perspective of management entails. Take your time as you review these lessons, going back to review any topics over again that seem confusing or need more work using the video tabs feature. As a great way to test your knowledge, we've provided multiple-choice quizzes with each lesson. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Identify the characteristics of an international manager in a global organization
- Explain how management and managerial functions are handled in international companies
- Detail the global responsibilities of a business
- Discuss how a small business operates in a global market
- Describe strategies for successful cross-cultural communication
- Outline the benefits of using diversity training in an international business
- List methods to settle international conflicts and identify ethical issues in global businesses
- Identify the costs and the benefits of the globalization of business
1. What is Global Leadership? - Definition & Overview
When a company goes international, it's time to develop leaders who can point the company in the right direction. Combining experience with an understanding of topics like psychology, geography, politics and sociology can help create a successful global leader.
2. Global Mindset in Business: Definition & Concept
In this lesson, we will cover the meaning of global mindset and how it can affect businesses around the world. Test your knowledge at the end by taking a short quiz.
3. Global Perspective of Management: Definition & Concept
Today's fast-paced, Internet-driven business environment calls for more than just a local perspective of management. Highly effective managers need to see things based on how their company functions in the big picture of the new global economy.
4. Characteristics of the International Manager in Global Organizations
Managers need to be able to plan, control, organize, and lead their companies and departments. When we look at international business, there are some additional aspects that come into play for a manager to be successful.
5. Managing in International Companies
Managing in international companies takes a special type of person. The reason for that is that not only do managers have to have an understanding of how to conduct business, but they also must deal with several other factors that are present in the international arena.
6. Managerial Functions in the International Organization
Every manager focuses on five different aspects of management. These aspects are common knowledge and when used together, they help to create an effective manager. This lesson will address those areas and integrate them into international business.
7. Global Responsibilities of a Business
As the world has become a much more connected place, people have begun to look to businesses to play a more responsible role. This lesson is on how the global responsibilities of business are evolving.
8. Small Business in a Global Market
As the world moves closer to a global economy, more small businesses will look to expand into international markets. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the advantages and disadvantages that small businesses face in a global market.
9. Cross-Cultural Communication: Definition, Strategies & Examples
Cross-cultural communication is imperative for companies that have a diverse workforce and participate in the global economy. It is important for employees to understand the factors that are part of an effective, diverse workforce.
10. Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business
Organizations are currently more focused on training their staff to understand diversity. In this lesson, we will look at diversity training in global organizations.
11. Settling International Conflicts in Business
This lesson will cover the role of arbitration by the International Chamber of Commerce and the various methods that are used for resolving disputes in international business. We will look at the main ways in which arbitration and dispute resolution can be done.
12. Ethical Issues in International Business
Corporations that tackle the global market face many difficulties. In this lesson, we will examine the ethical issues in international business, such as corruption, pollution, and environmental challenges.
13. Benefits & Costs of the Globalization of Business
Globalization has become a requirement for corporations to remain competitive in the marketplace. In this lesson, you will learn about the definition of globalization and the benefits and costs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 302: Foundations of Leadership course
- Basics of Leadership in the Workplace
- Leadership Styles & Traits
- Leadership & Management Functions
- Effective Leadership & Leadership Theories
- Decision-Making in Leadership & Business
- Communication in Leadership
- Ethical, Social & Legal Responsibilities of Leadership
- Leading Work Groups & Teams
- Managing Conflict & Conflict Resolution
- Required Assignments for Business 302
- Studying for Business 302