About This Chapter
International Economic Development - Chapter Summary
A range of international economic development issues are explored throughout the contents of this chapter. Review details on the composition of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Learn about the three main categories of economic development and examples such as tax incentives.
The material you'll come across in this chapter's video and text lessons covers lesser-developed countries (LDCs), their geographic range and the challenges they face in achieving and sustaining economic expansion. Additional lessons look at globalization and the various dimensions of globalism such as environmental, economic and social and cultural globalism. Some this chapter's main learning objectives include the following:
- Understand the roles of the IMF
- Know the institutions that make up the World Bank
- Provide examples of economic development that represent the three main areas
- Explain why LDCs find it difficult to grow economically
- Discuss how globalization effects developed as well as developing nations
You will find that the key terms emphasized in this chapter have been linked to text lessons to help provide you with maximized coverage and preparation. Our professional instructors teach the numerous video lessons for a fun way to learn and review the material. Try the self-assessment quizzes following your completion of lessons to get an idea of your grasp and retention of the content.
1. Less-Developed Countries & Obstacles to Development
Most of the world's population lives in lesser-developed countries struggling to develop and rise out of poverty. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the major hurdles facing these countries in their quest to develop.
2. Modernization, Development & Politics
The current disparity in international development, wealth and resources across the globe makes economic development an important international issue for the 21st century. In this lesson, you'll learn about development and its relation to international politics.
3. Globalization & Politics
The term 'globalization' gets tossed about quite a lot, but what exactly does it mean? In this lesson, you'll learn what globalization is and how it can affect states and their citizens. We'll also discuss the North-South gap. A quiz follows.
4. The Impact of Globalization on Developing, Transitional & Developed Countries
Countries of the world are impacted at different levels by globalization. Learn about the different effects of globalization on developing, transitional, and developed countries and how all these economies are interconnected.
5. What is Economic Development? - Definition & Examples
Learn what economic development is and why you may play a part in it every time you purchase something at the store. Find out who sponsors economic development and some of the most common categories and examples of economic development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Economics (007): Practice & Study Guide course
- Economic Concepts & Terminology
- Impact of Historical Events on the Economy
- Impact of Geography on Economics
- Structure of Local & Federal Governments
- Government & Economic Systems
- Democratic Values & Society
- Government Impact on Economics
- Basics of Measuring the Economy
- Scarcity, Opportunity Cost & Production Possibilities
- Producers & Production in Microeconomics
- Supply, Demand & Market Equilibrium
- Price Determination & Elasticity
- Economic Market Structures
- Business Types & Decision Making
- Understanding Economic Growth and Productivity
- Inflation & Adjustment in Economics
- Unemployment Basics
- Understanding Inflation & Unemployment
- Overview of Aggregate Demand & Supply
- Understanding Macroeconomic Equilibrium
- Scarce Economic Resource Markets Basics
- Fiscal & Monetary Policies
- Contractionary & Expansionary Gaps
- Money & the Market
- The Central Bank & Monetary Policy
- Types of Economic Advantage
- Foreign Exchange & Trade Balance
- Overview of Inflows, Outflows & Restrictions
- Consumer Decisions in Economics
- Consumer Protection Laws & Agencies
- Savings & Investments for Personal Finance
- Effective Teaching Strategies
- Instructional Teaching Strategies
- Assessment Strategies for Teachers
- Types of Student Assessments
- Technology Uses in the Classroom
- MTTC Economics Flashcards