About This Chapter
International Humanitarian Intervention - Chapter Summary
Review international humanitarian intervention topics with this useful online study guide chapter. Inside, you'll find informative and engaging lessons that examine the historical impacts of specific genocides and humanitarian crises. You'll also become familiar with human rights treaties. Try the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you comprehend the material. The chapter can be accessed on any computer or mobile device, and our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain political mindsets regarding humanitarian intervention
- Summarize the concept of universal human rights
- Interpret the historical timelines of the genocides in Kosovo and Rwanda
- Assess humanitarian interventions in Somalia and East Timor
- Evaluate the global impacts of Syria's humanitarian crisis
1. Human Rights Treaties, Humanitarian Intervention & Political Mindsets
The international community acknowledges the existence of certain universal human rights. In this lesson, you'll learn about how the international community seeks to enforce these rights and hold sovereign states accountable for their violation.
2. Kosovo Genocide: Summary & Timeline
This lesson will detail the conflicts in Kosovo that took place during the 1990s. We will explore whether or not acts of genocide took place during this time and asses other war crimes that occurred.
3. The Rwandan Genocide: Facts & Timeline
Rwanda, like many nations with borders created by a former colonial empire, contains multiple ethnic groups that historically didn't get along. In this lesson we are going to discuss the Rwandan Genocide and see how this tragedy occurred.
4. Humanitarian Intervention in Somalia
In this lesson we explore the history of Somalia and the humanitarian crises that have gripped the country since the 1990's. We will also examine the efforts made by the international community to end the violence and alleviate the suffering that threatens millions of lives in Somalia.
5. Humanitarian Intervention in East Timor
In this lesson, we will learn about what led to the humanitarian intervention of East Timor, how the intervention progressed, its outcome, and the controversies over the intervention.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel World Conflicts Since 1900: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Understanding World Conflicts
- The First World War (1914-1918)
- The Second World War (1939-1945)
- The Cold War (1945-1991)
- The Arab-Israeli Wars (1948-present)
- The Indo-Pakistani Conflict (1947-present)
- The Yugoslav (Balkan) Wars (1991-1999)
- Conflict in the Middle East & the War on Terror (1980-present)
- International Political Theories
- Actors in International Politics
- Key Issues in International Politics
- Views on War & Peace
- Causation of War
- Paths to Peace in International Relations
- Intra-State Conflicts After the Cold War
- Clash of Civilizations Overview
- Terrorism & Weapons of Mass Destruction
- UExcel World Conflicts Since 1900 Flashcards