About This Chapter
International Management & Contemporary Issues Overview - Chapter Summary
We've put together this corporate training chapter on international management and contemporary issues to assist your managers in understanding these concepts. These lessons cover the management of international companies, Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory and the internationalization and globalization of businesses. Along with each lesson, we've included a short self-assessment quiz to test your teams' knowledge.
How It Helps
- Builds strong companies: Managers who understand international management issues are more able to make strong decisions and lead your company to success.
- Offers knowledge: After completing this chapter, your managers will fully understand business ethics in contemporary businesses.
- Simplifies training: You can use this chapter in company-wide trainings and workshops on contemporary organizations and global business concepts
This chapter is a helpful way to ensure your employees can:
- Assess their knowledge of international management concepts
- Outline managerial functions in international organizations
- Discuss the characteristics of international managers in global businesses
- Explain globalization and internationalization of business
- Understand how management in international companies works
- Manage a diverse workforce in a contemporary organization
- Define Hofstede's theory on cultural dimensions
- Identify business ethics concepts in contemporary businesses
1. Managerial Functions in the International Organization
Every manager focuses on five different aspects of management. These aspects are common knowledge and when used together, they help to create an effective manager. This lesson will address those areas and integrate them into international business.
2. Characteristics of the International Manager in Global Organizations
Managers need to be able to plan, control, organize, and lead their companies and departments. When we look at international business, there are some additional aspects that come into play for a manager to be successful.
3. Internationalization & Globalization of Businesses
When companies decide to do international business, they have a wide variety of methods they can use to actually enter the market. This lesson will discuss those different methods and analyze how they work in an international context.
4. Managing in International Companies
Managing in international companies takes a special type of person. The reason for that is that not only do managers have to have an understanding of how to conduct business, but they also must deal with several other factors that are present in the international arena.
5. Managing a Diverse Workforce in Contemporary Organizations
Diversity is all around us and is a huge part of the business climate today. All companies strive for diversity, so they can have a unique perspective and look at issues through the eyes of their employees. This lesson will address diversity in a global setting.
6. Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions Theory
Dimensions of culture are an important aspect of international business. Knowing how cultures view different aspects of business can help a manager navigate through the international business market.
7. Business Ethics in Contemporary Businesses
The concept of ethics is easy to give examples of but hard to define. In this lesson, we will discuss ethics and how they apply in the business world, as well as discuss an example of an ethical situation using Enron.
8. Practical Application: Assessing Your International Management Skills
In the 21st century economy, management is now a global function from the smallest company to the largest. Learn how to assess your own international management skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Management: Skills Development & Training course
- Management Overview
- Classical School of Management Overview
- Behavioral School of Management Theory Overview
- Contemporary & Future School of Management Theory Overview
- Planning in Organizations Overview
- Organizational Change Overview
- Organizing in Business Management Overview
- Work Teams Overview
- Leading in Organizations Overview
- Leadership Theory Overview
- Motivation in the Workplace Overview
- Communication in the Workplace Overview
- Controlling in Organizations Overview
- Human Resources Overview
- Strategic Management & Managerial Decision Making Overview
- Production & Quality Assurance Overview