About This Chapter
International Operations Management - Chapter Summary
Developing a deeper understanding of globalization and international distribution and logistics practices is important if you are planning a career in the global business world. If you're studying business, you can use this chapter to further your understanding of global operations, such as supply chain management, distribution methods, and internal logistics. Instructors for these lessons are professionals in the field. They provide detailed overviews while making the material fun and engaging. Use self-assessment quizzes to ensure that you have retained the most important facts from each lesson. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be more knowledgeable about the following:
- Describe the operating environments of international companies
- Outline the logistics of services and goods
- Detail the impact globalization has on operations and supply chain management
- Explain the distribution methods used by international businesses
- Identify challenges faced when operating a global supply chain
- Define international logistics
1. International Companies' Operating Environments
International companies' operating environments are complicated due to numerous factors. In this lesson we will identify and describe the three environments in which the international company operates: domestic, foreign and international.
2. Logistics of Goods and Services
Logistics management is essential for the proper functioning of a supply chain and for successfully serving customers. In this lesson, you'll learn about the role of logistics in supply chain management and how intermediaries can be used in the process.
3. What Is International Logistics? - Definition & Explanation
Logistical management is an essential component of any company and can be complex in our global economy. In this lesson, you'll learn the key concepts related to it. A short quiz follows.
4. Distribution Methods for International Businesses
There are two basic methods for distributing product to international markets: centralization and decentralization. This lesson explores those methods as well as the tools available to decide which best suits your business.
5. Globalization's Impact on Operations & Supply Chain Management
Globalization's impact on operations and supply chain management is multifaceted. In this lesson, we will discuss four impacted areas: procurement and sourcing methods, inventory management, distribution facility locations, and transportation.
6. Challenges in Global Supply Chain
Once a business goes global in its supply chain, a whole new set of challenges and concerns arise. A business will encounter not only increased paperwork but also other challenges, including language barriers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 120: International Business course
- Introduction to International Business
- How Culture Affects International Business
- Global Economic Development
- Key Factors in International Trade
- International Trade Management & Regulation
- Exchange Rates & Currency Changes
- International Market Entry Strategies
- Management & Human Resources in International Business
- Global Marketing and R&D Strategies
- Communication & Decision-Making in Global Business
- Impact of Globalization on Organizations
- Impact of Globalization on Countries
- Global Business Ethics
- Future of Globalization
- Studying for Business 120