About This Chapter
International Trade Management & Regulation - Chapter Summary
Check out this series of engaging business lessons to review basic international trade management and regulation topics. As you progress through the chapter, you'll study large international banking organizations, as well as trade protectionism, barriers, agreements and restrictions. When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you fully understand important terms and concepts. You can access the chapter at any time using your computer or mobile device. You can also reach out to our instructors if you have any questions about the material. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the roles of the IMF, World Bank and other international banking organizations
- Identify and evaluate the effects of trade barriers and restrictions on prices, demand and foreign labor
- Understand how imported goods and domestic prices are affected by quotas and tariffs
- Assess the pros and cons of trade protectionism
- Tell how organizations overcome trade restriction barriers
- Summarize concepts pertaining to trade agreements and international trade organizations
1. Trade Barriers: Impacts on Prices & Demand
All countries desire trade as a way of increasing their wealth, but very often they want it on their own terms. This lesson looks at the trade barriers that many countries establish, as well as the effects of such limitations.
2. Trade Restrictions and Foreign Labor
Discover why trade restrictions are sometimes used to combat cheap foreign labor. Learn about outsourcing, job protection, and infant industry strategies.
3. Tariffs and Quotas: Effects on Imported Goods and Domestic Prices
Explore what tariffs and quotas are and what effect they can have on the supply of imported goods. Find out how these two economic tactics can influence the prices you pay for many of the everyday items you may purchase.
4. Advantages and Disadvantages of Trade Protectionism
Countries want to win the game of international trade by exporting more than they import. Some countries pursue trade protectionism to do this. In this lesson, you'll learn about the advantages and disadvantages of this strategy and related concepts.
5. International Trade Organizations and Trade Agreements
International trade organizations and trade agreements have enormous power in the global trade environment. In this lesson, you will learn about the roles of the GATT, NAFTA, and the World Trade Organization.
6. The World Bank, IMF & Other International Banking Organizations
International banking and financial organizations exist to encourage economic and financial stability, help facilitate trade, and help with economic development. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of these important organizations.
7. Overcoming Barriers to Trade Restrictions
Trade barriers can prevent businesses from doing business abroad. So what can a business do if it wants to expand its operations and sell products in other countries? This lesson will provide some answers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 120: International Business course
- Introduction to International Business
- How Culture Affects International Business
- Global Economic Development
- Key Factors in International Trade
- Exchange Rates & Currency Changes
- International Market Entry Strategies
- Management & Human Resources in International Business
- International Operations Management
- Global Marketing and R&D Strategies
- Communication & Decision-Making in Global Business
- Impact of Globalization on Organizations
- Impact of Globalization on Countries
- Global Business Ethics
- Future of Globalization
- Studying for Business 120