About This Chapter
International Treaties, Agreements & Organizations - Chapter Summary
Information regarding international treaties, agreements and organizations is provided by this chapter. Find out more about important treaties, the growth of international organizations, the history of the United Nations and more. Our lessons also allow you to:
- Explain the economics and politics of international trade
- Identify international trade organizations and agreements
- Assess the role of non-governmental organizations in international politics
- Discuss the history of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and its purpose
Watch our engaging video lessons to easily learn more about these global topics. We provide timelines in each lesson that make finding the subject you want to study easy. If you have questions about these international agreements, you can contact our expert instructors for assistance.
1. Treaties and the Law: Definition & Examples
A treaty is an express agreement entered into by official representatives from two or more independent governments. Treaties are law. This lesson explains what a treaty is and how treaties are used.
2. Growth of International Organizations: History, Events, and Trends
In this lesson, we explore the growth of international organizations since the 1990s, especially the proliferation of trade deals and the expanding reach of existing organizations like the UN, NATO, and the EU.
3. The United Nations' History & Role in International Politics
One of the most influential and far-reaching intergovernmental organizations in the world today is the United Nations. In this lesson, you'll learn about the United Nations, including its history, structure, and role in international politics.
4. The Economics & Politics of International Trade
We will discuss the economics & politics of international trade through the definition of open trade and its benefits and drawbacks. In addition, the ideas of competitive advantage and political patience will be shown as key indicators of global success.
5. International Trade Organizations and Trade Agreements
International trade organizations and trade agreements have enormous power in the global trade environment. In this lesson, you will learn about the roles of the GATT, USMCA, the EU , and the World Trade Organization.
6. Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) as International Political Actors
States aren't the only actors on the world stage. Nongovernmental organizations play an important role in our international system. In this lesson, you'll learn what nongovernmental organizations are and how they affect the world. A short quiz follows.
7. Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC): History & Purpose
Oil is an indispensable and scarce commodity required for energy and modern products. A world without it would look drastically different. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, including its history and purpose.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Geography (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- Geographic Terms & Concepts
- Geographical Tools & Information Systems
- Geographic Investigations
- Geography Instruction
- Earth's Physical Features, Systems & Processes
- Earth's Systems & Natural Processes
- Climate & Atmosphere
- Natural Resources & Consumption
- Land Use
- Human Culture & Settlements
- Populations & Demographics
- Human-Environment Interactions
- Europe's Geography
- African & Middle Eastern Geography
- Geography of South Asia
- East Asian Geography
- Geography of Russia & Central Asia
- Geography of Australia & the Pacific Islands
- North American Geography
- United States Geography
- Geography of Canada
- Caribbean & Central & South American Geography
- Geography & Nation-States in History
- Global Conflicts & Cooperation
- American Colonization & Settlement
- American Revolution & Early History
- U.S. Expansion & Reform
- U.S. Civil War
- U.S. Industrialization & Urbanization
- Global Power of the United States
- Great Depression
- American Involvement in World War I & II
- American Involvement in the Cold War
- Civil Rights Movements
- Contemporary U.S. History
- Ancient Civilizations & Empires
- Classical Civilizations
- Founding & Spread of Major World Religions
- Age of Global Revolutions
- Economics Vocabulary & Concepts
- American Government & Politics
- Analyzing Public Policy
- MTTC Geography Flashcards